Joshua Holz

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

When shooting reversal you can make a small mark on the film to see if the camera is advancing it. (If you don't see the mark you know the roll is advancing.) Can you do the same with color negative film, like Vision3 200T? Or would exposing the cartridge to light harm it?

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2366 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

It doesn't matter, film is film.

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1027 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

...and the point of the Kodak Instamatic cartridge and Super 8 as a format is very much that you don't have to worry about film being exposed while handling it, at any stage. I occassionally see novices swapping cartridges in changing bags, or taping up the cartridges' sides, hell, even the camera cartridge compartments despite their rubber seals not having been compromised with age. Much ado about nothing, in my experience.

#4 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

I occassionally see novices swapping cartridges in changing bags

haha That's hilarious. One of the joys of Super 8 for me is being able to quickly swap cartridges depending on the lighting or feeling without worrying about the film being exposed. Plus I always enjoy having a few light leaks in the roll for editing purposes because they look nice.

Josh - if you remove the cart after filming some (whether test or actual use) you'll only lose around 8 frames of Super 8 and you'll have some light leaks of a few frames on the start and end of those lost frames.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

The only time you need the changing bag is if you're backwinding for in-camera dissolves or multiple exposures which would be spoiled by the flash frames.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 09 June 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:04 AM

I wish that cameras could remember where in a reel I left off when I change carts mid shoot. The counter resets making it necessary to take note of how much film was used in that cartridge. Just bought a bunch of the 03 and 19 off the website, couldn't have been easier. 

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Zylight

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport