Help with Angenieux 9.5 - 57mm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

I just obtained an Angenieux 9.5 - 57mm but it came without a front cap or filter adapter. It seems to have an odd filter size - something like 65mm. Can anyone guide me to an adapter which would allow me to use my Series 9 filters (or some other readily obtainable size)? Thanks.

#2 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

It is 65mm (my HEC is, I think they're all the same) Tiffen makes a 65mm to Series 9 step up ring.

-Sam

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

I had a super thin 65mm-67mm step-up ring machined and this let me use all 67mm accessories.

#4 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

Sheesh - would it have killed them to make it a 67mm thread? Thanks for the information. I just don't want to spend more on a filter adapter than I did on the lens.

#5 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

It wasn't so expensive for the adapter ring. Plus I had a whole bunch of Harrison filters in 67mm thread so It was worthwhile.
Also the Angenieux 9.5-57 is a good lens! The best Angenieux zoom for 16mm IMHO.
Guess they made it 65mm to force people to buy their lens accessories.
French cars even in the 50's, 60's and 70's were impossible to work on without special tools.
Nothing like a Chevy that's for sure!

#6 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:08 PM

"French cars even in the 50's, 60's and 70's were impossible to work on without special tools."

Exactly - I've always said that the French do mechanical things differently, apparently just because it's the French way of doing things. The engine compartment of an old Citroen is like something out of science fiction. The steering wheel has not three, not two, but *one* spoke. The wheels on some french cars take *three* lug nuts!

Does anyone in the U.S. know of an inexpensive place to have a custom step-up ring machined? How much should I expect to pay? I also have a 9mm Kinoptic with the non-standard filter size of 45mm and would love to get a step-up to 52mm for that too. There's one available from the American distributor of the Ikonoskop camera, but it's $65, and I won't pay that.

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC