#1 Serge Gregory

Serge Gregory
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

When I received my scanned footage (Kodak 7203) back from Spectra, they indicated "camera flicker." It's inconsistent (not in all shots) but very noticeable towards the end of my edited footage: https://vimeo.com/170814555.

The camera is a Bauer C61XL. It has a low-light, 225-degree shutter. When I looked at the problem shots frame-by-frame, it was clear that the exposure was inconsistent. It reminded me of the flicker in an old wind-up Bolex. Can others confirm by looking at the footage that the shutter is the likely problem, rather than something else? Otherwise, the scanned 7203 looks very good.

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2368 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Yea it did look pretty good. The flicker is very strange because it's inconsistent. The one thing that seemed strange is the gate wobble, it had LOTS of it, more then it should. Outside of a light leak and light bouncing around between the shutter and lens, I don't know what else can cause that issue since it doesn't seem to be consistent.

#3 Serge Gregory

Serge Gregory
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Yea it did look pretty good. The flicker is very strange because it's inconsistent. The one thing that seemed strange is the gate wobble, it had LOTS of it, more then it should. Outside of a light leak and light bouncing around between the shutter and lens, I don't know what else can cause that issue since it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Thanks for your response, Tyler. I guess I attribute the gate wobble to a failing of older cameras like this. I wonder whether the new Kodak camera will be designed to minimize the registration issue common to Super-8 cartridges (short of the Logmar solution). My take away is that although this Bauer has great glass, it's no longer reliable.

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Zylight