David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

Good or not?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a good look at it at NAB. Yes I think it's good but haven't used one in anger. As scanners go, it has a good pedigree.

The unit naturally scans with a 3k x 2k sensor, which is repositioned for a second scan on the same frame to create a 6k x 4k "highest res" scan. If you were scanning 2k, you wouldn't have this second scan so you would double your scanning speed. 4K would be derrived by down converting from the 6k x 4k

At that time, I felt it was a little on the slow side, but Arri expect the speed to increase by IBC (Sept). Of the dedicated scanners I looked at, I felt that the Arri was probably the best although I was a little concerned about the complexity of the double scan - just in terms of long term reliability. However, over the (previewed prototype) Ditto from Cintel, the Arri can scan 3 perf 35 and 16 / S16, whereas the Ditto will be designed for 35/4 perf only. It is half as much though :-)

There were a number of offerings in this emerging market area. Namely for a "bare bolts" scanner that provides a high quality scan for digital manipulation later, and at a price far below that of a traditional "hi-res" telecine such as a Spirit.

David Cox
Baraka Post Production
www.baraka.co.uk

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Visual Products

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC