Super 8 or 16mm for flashback scenes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

I'm starting a project for a music video and the story will have some flashback scenes to the late 50s.I want 2 different looks to indicate they are decades apart.

The modern day scenes will be super 16,vision 2 500t or 200t.
As sharp as I can get it...with mostly indoor shots.

the flashbacks scenes will be mostly outdoors.

Should I :

1 Shoot the flashbacks on super 8?. 24fps or 18fps?

2 Shoot a grainer stock and push 1 stop on super 16?

3 Shoot an older stock and frame for R16 to get a smaller image area.

And also for option 3 :can I run double perf through my k3 super 16 gate without trouble? Actually....scratches would be befitting. i was thinking old vnf?

My super 8 cam leaves much to be desired (nikon zoom 8) so shooting 8 might mean shopping for a new cam. or maybe not..I dont know.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

Any of those approaches would work. If you don't want to carry a Super-8 camera and deal with Super-8 stock, processing, transfer, etc. of that footage, you could consider just framing Super-16 for zooming in the telecine into a Super-8-sized area in the frame for more grain. It may be more convenient if the rest of the project was Super-16.

There's something unique about color reversal though, whether Kodachrome, Ektachrome, etc. because of the grain and contrast, etc., for a special look to the flashbacks.

You could consider color-correcting the flashbacks to a different color tone or color saturation than the rest of the scenes.

#3 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

Any of those approaches would work.  If you don't want to carry a Super-8 camera and deal with Super-8 stock, processing, transfer, etc. of that footage, you could consider just framing Super-16 for zooming in the telecine into a Super-8-sized area in the frame for more grain.  It may be more convenient if the rest of the project was Super-16.

There's something unique about color reversal though, whether Kodachrome, Ektachrome, etc. because of the grain and contrast, etc., for a special look to the flashbacks.

You could consider color-correcting the flashbacks to a different color tone or color saturation than the rest of the scenes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah thats my thinking too david.I think I want to stick with the 16mm Im comfortable with.
I love color reversal looks but my fear is that I'll shoot K-40 and I'll like that way too much! I actually want to do a super 16mm project on k40 before its done with.

So I think since my K3 viewfinder is still centered for R16 I'll just shoot that then crop the top and bottom . I have some fuji f400 I havent used yet and I can also get exr100t pretty cheap from a couple of places that are clearing that out.

I recently shot one roll of exr100 outdoors with no daylight filter and had the lab color correct for me.it actually looks kinda cool because even though the fleshtones are right ,something just isnt right about the colors and I think it looks a little dated which is cool.

Am I crazy for thinking about making a print and trying to figure out a way to get it a little damaged? Then have that transferred? lol
I mean you can add degration effects in posts but real sratches and wear I think would give those scenes authenticity. maybe project it a few times ?
just a crazy idea.

I'm also curious about what some has suggested is a cheap way of dreamy diffusion...a silk stocking stretched behind the lens? I want the modern day scenes to look bleach bypassed and somber and the flashbacks to look dreamy and colorful...like happier times.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

Am I crazy for thinking about making a print and trying to figure out a way to get it a little damaged? Then have that transferred? lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that's a good idea if you can afford to make a print. The gamma will be more like reversal film and you can beat the print up to your heart's content! Just tell the transfer house NOT to clean it beforehand.

#5 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:30 PM

No, that's a good idea if you can afford to make a print.  The gamma will be more like reversal film and you can beat the print up to your heart's content!  Just tell the transfer house NOT to clean it beforehand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks David!

I only need a few minutes of footage so maybe we can make a print of the flashbacks.

This is kinda like spending $70 on "Worn" jeans lol!

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

Technodolly

Wooden Camera