10 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1265 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:06 AM

These scenes are from popular films that, according to this YouTube clip, were cut from all versions of their releases.  But, that if left in, would have made the films make more sense.

I'm not really fishing for opinions, just posting it here for passive consideration.  

However, it does make the argument for including a few extra seconds of footage to allow films to make more sense.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11228 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:57 AM

I'm not sure if any of them were particularly crucial - Prometheus remains a mess with or without that scene, after all.

It does reinforce the argument that not absolutely all films need to be slaves to convention as regards run time and plot structure.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5194 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Nothing could save Batman vs Superman, nothing but a muddled pile of nonsense co-edited by studio executives, and the marketing dept.

R,

#4 Shawn Sagady

Shawn Sagady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Maryland

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

I think the exclusion of those two characters from Watchmen would have been nice to have in the film, add some weight to the loss of NY and the characters.  The Indiana Jones one I can live without but would like to see, Prometheus, I love to hate that movie.  I am a huge fan of anything Aliens but that movie made my head hurt so badly.

#5 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2359 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

Nothing could save Batman vs Superman, nothing but a muddled pile of nonsense co-edited by studio executives, and the marketing dept.

Agreed, but I'd still like to see the hour of stuff they cut out. Would it make the movie better? Nope. It would sure be interesting though.

Funny enough, Aliens, The Abyss and Terminator 2 directors cuts are FAR better then the theatricals. But they are the only directors cuts I've seen, which are far superior. Most of the longer cuts don't do anything better, they just roam about in the movies own world a bit more then the theatrical.

#6 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

I rather like Prometheus. 

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

It's not always a good thing to put back in scenes that explain the movie to the audience --- there's nothing wrong with some ambiguity nor making the viewer think harder, or to have a non-verbal poetic experience that cannot be easily explained in words.

"2001" was originally going to have a narrator that explained things like the monolith teaching the starving man-apes who were on the edge of extinction, etc. but Kubrick cut it out early on in editing.

"Alien" had the famously omitted scene where Ripley finds Dallas and Brett being cocooned and dissolved, which explained something of the motivation of the alien creature, but Scott felt that it killed the pace of the last act as Ripley was running around the ship.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11228 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Absolutely, I'd like to strongly support the idea of less conventional films which let the audience fill in the blanks. I mean, all films do that to some extent, but it's a matter of degree.

When it's something like Prometheus, though, where the reaction was universally "huh?"...

#9 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1265 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

When a friend of the family took me and his GF to "Raiders" on opening day, coming out of the theater her one comment was "How did he [Indy] know not to look?" for the big finale scene where the nazis get toasted.  

I think my response and my friend's response was that Indiana Jones was well read up on the topic, as the movie seemed to imply that he had enough scholarship to know about how the ark worked.

So I think a portion of the audience can tune into what's missing, but it requires some imaginative thought.

#10 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

I guess I might be in the minority but I prefer the theatrical version of Blade Runner with Harrison Ford's narration. Whenever I watch the director's cut, I feel that something is sorely lacking.

#11 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1488 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

When a friend of the family took me and his GF to "Raiders" on opening day, coming out of the theater her one comment was "How did he [Indy] know not to look?" for the big finale scene where the nazis get toasted.  

I think my response and my friend's response was that Indiana Jones was well read up on the topic, as the movie seemed to imply that he had enough scholarship to know about how the ark worked.

That would mean that when the real ark is carried into battle by the true believers and deployed against the infidels, they would have to have an agreed upon plan. 

Okay listen up!  George and Phillip, when I count to three I'm going to take the lid off, remember to close your eyes.... 

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineTape

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

Zylight

Glidecam

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

The Slider