2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

I'm looking for information from people who've brought NTSC cameras to Europe, specifically Sony Digibeta cameras.

I'm aware I should buy 220v lamps for my light kit, make sure my AC power supply reads: "110/220/240v AC Auto 50/60Hz" if I don't want to worry about power transformer.

I should probably look in Fry's or Radio Shack for electrical outlet adapters. I've learned the posts in Germany are a wider diameter than in France.

I've been directed to websites where I can obtain free carnets : www.iccwbo.org
and www.atacarnet.com

I'm also advised to shoot at 1/100 second shuuter speed due to the 50Hz cycle.

But I'm just wondering what a few of you guys have to offer. How rainy is Europe in the summer? Who offers the best world phone plan? What other pitfalls have you encountered with your equipment?

Many thanks,

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

> How rainy is Europe in the summer?

That's like asking "What's the weather like in the US in summer?"

It depends exactly where you are; you are making the mistake of treating Europe as one country. Southern Spain has a climate close to that of north Africa; parts of Finland are near-arctic year round, and microclimates at elevation exist in the Alps just as they do in the Rockies.

The central areas - France, Germany, the south of the UK - can have terribly unpredictable weather. On any summer you're liable to get quite a few days of clean sun, but nobody can really predict where they are. We've had some really scorching days in London recently - I'm watching a big red sunset as I type - but nobody, certainly not the forecasters, can guarantee exactly when they'll happen. There's water shortages this year because it's rained so little, and during the summer nobody would expect it to, so you're unlikely to be rained off that much - but you could get unlucky, and if you need a lot of clean sunny days you should be prepared to be here for several weeks.

For what it's worth, I didn't find the penalties of shooting PAL in the US to be showstoppingly terrible and I suspect that you may find the inverse to be true. Very subtle pulsating in fluorescents. Nothing more.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes, 09 June 2005 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

I'm looking for information from people who've brought NTSC cameras to Europe, specifically Sony Digibeta cameras.

I'm aware I should buy 220v lamps for my light kit, make sure my AC power supply reads: "110/220/240v AC Auto 50/60Hz" if I don't want to worry about power transformer.

I should probably look in Fry's or Radio Shack for electrical outlet adapters. I've learned the posts in Germany are a wider diameter than in France.

I've been directed to websites where I can obtain free carnets : www.iccwbo.org
and www.atacarnet.com

I'm also advised to shoot at 1/100 second shuuter speed due to the 50Hz cycle.

But I'm just wondering what a few of you guys have to offer. How rainy is Europe in the summer? Who offers the best world phone plan? What other pitfalls have you encountered with your equipment?

Many thanks,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shot all over Austria and Switzerland in 1997 doing a travel show and one thing I can recommend highly (although it IS counterintuitive) and that is to get yourself a guide from the local tourist bureau. Unlike the college kids employed in that capacity in US cities, these people are trained professionals and they can REALLY speed the plow for you.

It is also likely that you can get them gratis (might want to tip them if so). We had one in each of the 8 cities/towns/hamlets we went and each was delightful company, extremely knowledgeable,
great at greasing the wheels, knew the best way to get from pt. A to pt. B, knew where to eat, where to drink. In short, they were invaluable.

That's my best tip although it might sound like BS.

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery