Stelios Contos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salem

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hey,

I noticed some interesting personalities coming from Benoît Debie cinematography practices. I was watching a movie directed by Wim Wenders called Every thing will be Fine. As an added side-note I want to mention the writer,Bjørn Olaf Johannessen, because its connected to the bigger image I noticed personally.

The things Im interested in is 1: Benoît's light choice for an early morning scene in this movie? & his all around esthetic - lighting & framing specifically.

And the other question was 2: The combination of influences on this projects development?

First, the lights question: If you look at the stills I added theres a neon quality to Benoîts lighting in this scene. What I mean by that is the light glows and wraps around some items. The pictures I think show his representation of a really early/late night 2 morning transition lighting. 

There are 2 ext lights skimming off the exterior windows framing & filling some of the frames space. In the distance outside is the wide open field and the people are in the foreground. 

image 3.jpeg

Anyone have any knowledge on what Benoît's like lighting choice was when he created that light. From what I noticed from Benoîts style is that he tends to make some of his lights glow. You think this was enchantment in edit or on location DP choices? 

If you watch & check out stills from 

http://www.imdb.com/...9/?ref_=ttmi_tt

http://www.imdb.com/...?ref_=nm_knf_t1

https://www.youtube....h?v=B3eAMGXFw1o

The other part I wanted to see if anyone noticed was the quality the movie gives off? To me (generally speaking) its gives off part french color/saturation look w & audio style, German novel/script story development & Scandinavian spatial theories. I can expand.

Just curious to see if anyone picked up on what Im seeing as the embodiment of various countries. Its neat I think. 

P.S
The lights Im interested look to be the same color you'll see dotted around this movie as well as in Rihannas MV & the flashlights in The Maze Runner & other films.

#2 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

I think what you mean by glow is hard slightly over exposed light of a deep colour thats been boosted up in post ?

Abel Cine

The Slider

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Glidecam