Robert Ante

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • New Jersey

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

I have a Kodak K 100 camera with a 15mm finder but a 16mm lens. As far as I know Kodak did not make a 16mm finder.

I was not able to find any comparative angles of view comparing 15mm with 16mm lenses with regard to 16mm frame size. Therefore, I have no idea how much more of the scene is included by the viewfinder compared with the lens. So, my question is: Is this combination, 15mm finder and 16mm lens a practical pairing in use? Must I assume mentally diminishing the edge of the viewfinder or can the 1mm difference between finder and lens be ignored in practice?

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

Well it's better to have a larger field of view in the viewfinder lens compared to the taking one rather than the the other way round, you just need to mentally crop in a little. The difference is very small, but noticeable if you were being careful with your framing. Probably not important most of the time, it really depends on what you're shooting.

If you don't have a reflex 16mm zoom to play with you can use something like this field of view calculator to get a sense of the difference between 15mm and 16mm on S16:
https://www.abelcine.com/fov/
Just enter S16 for the format and manually change the focal length. (It's designed to compare between formats, but you can just look at one image and alter the focal length.) Your camera isn't S16, but it's close enough for the comparison.

Anyway you can't be too precious about framing with a camera that has a fixed offset viewfinder lens - parallax error will shift the recorded image away from the viewfinder image as you focus closer, and there's no facility for parallax correction on a K 100.

Glidecam

Technodolly

The Slider

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks