New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Kiev

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hello, dear filmmakers!

On my camera Arri 416 no ground glass. I need to understand where the frame edges.

When I connect the monitor using a Y connector, I can choose a picture frame on the menu, but I do not know what size frame will meet the real Super 16. Could it be that the entire image on the screen corresponds to a real frame?

Can I make the ground glass? And how to do it?

Thank you very much for your help!

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

I don't know how people can sell a camera like that without a gg..

You need one not just for framing but also for eye focussing. Without one you can't judge through the viewfinder when the image on the film is sharp.

You'll need to buy or rent one, making your own is not possible. It's the same fibre screen used in SR3s.

#3 Veronika Kravchenko

Veronika Kravchenko

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Kiev

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the answer. That is, ground glass must be with the camera in the kit?

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:07 AM

Yes, it's an essential part of the camera kit. People might swap ground glasses over for different aspect ratios, but the camera viewfinder is essentially unusable without a ground glass. 

Try to source a ground glass that will match the format and aspect ratio you want to film in, for example S16 1.78. Sometimes you can get multiple aspect ratios marked on one ground glass. You may need to just rent one from a rental house. Or contact the people you bought the camera from and demand the ground glass that it should have come with.

SR1 and 2 ground glasses will also fit your camera but are often marked for Standard 16, so make sure you get a S16 one if that's the format you want.

I don't know where you can buy them these days, try respected camera dealers like Visual Products or Gecko-Cam or even older established rental houses that had film cameras and are now offloading their film accessories. There used to be a company called Shurko that made and re-marked ground glasses, but I haven't used them for years. 

#5 Veronika Kravchenko

Veronika Kravchenko

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Kiev

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

Thank you very much for your help!

About the viewfinder, I realized. Do I understand correctly that without ground glass I can not focus on the monitor? I connect the monitor via BNC connector Y, and it is possible to expose the electronic picture frame.

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

The monitor is only showing a picture of the ground glass (or viewfinder) image. Without a ground glass you can pick up an aerial image, but it won't be necessarily at the same focus depth as the film plane. So it may look sharp depending on the eyepiece diopter setting, or the video split focus setting, but it won't necessarily be sharp on the film. Even with a ground glass, focussing off the monitor is not that accurate with film cameras.

#7 Michael Rodin

Michael Rodin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Riga, Latvia

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

The Video Tap is only for framing. You can't use it for critical focusing: the resolution is way too low. Even an HD tap on an Arricam or 435 is not good for judging focus.

#8 Kalle Folke

Kalle Folke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi, Aimimage in UK have some used ones: http://www.aimimage....es-sale/page/2/

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies