• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

Has anyone tried this lens? Comments on it?

#2 Mark Lyon

Mark Lyon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Director
  • Solana Beach, CA

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

We've used it once or twice. It's really sharp and contrasty--and cuts together well with zeiss primes (and I'm nearly certain is has a 80mm front, so you can use the same mattebox, etc.). It's also really small and light, which is nice. The huge downside, of course, is the very slow maximum aperture. If you're working with a lot of light, and you don't mind a lot of DOF, it will be fine.

Best of luck,

Mark Lyon
Mighty Max Films

#3 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:36 PM

The speed of the lens is indeed a concern. That aside, there is a question about the weight. On the internet, the US Aaton agent says that it weighs .8 lbs, but a European Aaton agent says that it weighs 800 grams, which is quite a difference. Do you happen to know which it is? I've already checked the Fujinon site, but there is nada about this product.

I know that you have talked about the A-Minima on this site in the past, and I assume (perhaps wrongly) that your experience with the Fujinon lens is with that camera. Whether that is right or wrong, if you had a choice of a zoom/variable prime lens to use with the A-Minima, which one would you use? If your view on this question didn't depend on bulk and weight, would the answer be different?

Thanks, if you have time to respond.

#4 Mark Lyon

Mark Lyon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Director
  • Solana Beach, CA

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

Yes, we've used it with my A-Minima. We've also used the Canon 7-63 and 8-64, which are definitely my preference if we're using zooms. They're a bit bigger and heavier, but the extra speed and range are well worth it. Of course, they're also more expensive. I'm not sure about the weight, but it struck me as very lightweight. I would check with Abel Cinetech to find out for sure.

Best of luck,

Mark Lyon
Mighty Max Films

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Willys Widgets