Night lighting exterior

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Line

Line
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

Hi cinematographers,

I am about to shoot a short film where the story takes place in the countryside (ext) on a road by som fields and forest. Everything is at night and there are no lights by the road so we have to fake moonlight. I want the ligthing to be a bit rough, I mean high in contrast and not to soft. Do you have any recommendations on lighting and what to think about? It is a low budget film and we´re filming on 16 mm. I´m thinking of Kodaks Vision2 500.

I´m also looking for DVDs with films where some scenes take place in simular situations (like this short film) and then I can look at different lightings to see what it looks like and also use as inspiration. Do you have any suggestions?

That´s all for now and thank you!

Best regards,
/Line

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

Hi cinematographers,
Everything is at night and there are no lights by the road so we have to fake moonlight. I want the ligthing to be a bit rough,
It is a low budget film and we´re filming on 16 mm. I´m thinking of Kodaks Vision2 500.
/Line

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Your cheapest option would be a Day for Night shoot!

Stephen Williams lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

#3 Line

Line
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thank you Stephen!

I did a search here on Forum about night by day so now I have a lot to read! That´s good. I´ve never filmed night by day so I´ll have to make some tests to see what happens.

Maybe I was wrong to write that it´s a low budget film. I mean, there is money for lights, but we don´t have money for example a flying moon or something big like that. So I´m still thinking about filming at night with lights anyway.

How strong lamps and how many do you think I need (at the least) for lighting up an area with a road and forrest in the background? Or if you have som suggestions.

Thank you!
/Line

CineTape

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport