#1 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hey guys, my Arriflex 16S only has the Arri "Standard Mount" for lenses.  No bayonet.  I was just curious; are there any lenses other than the those depicted in the user's manual that can be used on this camera?  Also, was there ever an adapter made which would allow for the use of other lenses?  It looks like one of the old ('50s - 60's) Russian Konvas cameras had the Arriflex "standard" mount in a 3 lens turret and sure enough, when I look at the rear of the lens, it does appear to be an Arriflex standard mount.  I've got one 16mm Schneider lens and plan on purchasing a telephoto in the future, but for now, (and since I don't have the money for a premium lens), I'd like to maybe find a cheaper one, if that's even available.

Thanks

#2 James Jeffrey Cotter

James Jeffrey Cotter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United States

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

The konvas only looks like the Arri std it is not the same, the barrel is much larger diameter. You can get Kilfit adaptor to use m39 leica  lenses on Arri std and bayonet. So it could also  use any 39mm threaded lens as long as you deal with the 52mm flange distance for back focus. If you need lenses let me know what you need I have been cleaning out extras

#3 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

Thanks!  You probably save me much heartache.  Yes, I will be purchasing some lenses in the near future.  I will be looking for something in the 100mm range and then something around 300mm.  I see a Kilfit adapter on e-Bay that I may purchase.

#4 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

The konvas only looks like the Arri std it is not the same, the barrel is much larger diameter. You can get Kilfit adaptor to use m39 leica  lenses on Arri std and bayonet. So it could also  use any 39mm threaded lens as long as you deal with the 52mm flange distance for back focus. If you need lenses let me know what you need I have been cleaning out extras

52mm flange distance?

#5 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

https://en.wikipedia..._focal_distance

The distance from the lens mounting flange to the focal plane (where the film is) is called the flange focal distance.

The Arri has a 52.0mm ffd. The M39 is 28.8mm. Because it's smaller than the camera's, you'll lose at least part of (possibly all) your focal range, if the adapter doesn't have optics to compensate for it (I've never used one of the Kilfitt adapters, so I don't know). How much depends on the lens.

#6 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

The ARRI standard mount is a bayonet mount. Bayonet or spigot stands for quick slip-in or snap-on. Other concepts are the PL mount (Positive Lock), threads, and different kinds of twist locks.

ARRI specifies 51,98 mm +0-0,01 by the way.

#7 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

The Arri standard I don't believe is called bayonet mount.  The lens simply slides into place.  No twisting to lock it in.

#8 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Arri standard and Arri bayonet are slightly different. Arri bayonet mounts will take any Arri standard lenses, but not vise versa.

Same bore. Arri bayonet partially replaced the Arri standard (late 60s, early 70s?). They were both replaced completely by Arri PL later on (early-mid 80s?).

#9 Mark Day

Mark Day
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

Well, I'm looking at a couple of cheap-ass Russian "Jupiter" lenses, just to experiment with.  I'm looking at a Jupiter 12, 35mm lens and a Jupiter 8, 50mm lens on e-Bay.

#10 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

ARRI specifies 51,98 mm +0-0,01 by the way.

Simon, this is a camera flange depth setting, and can vary between cameras. It's not a lens specification.

All Arri Standard, Bayonet and PL mounted lenses are set to 52.00mm back-focus from flange to film plane at infinity.

#11 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1521 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Simon,  are the camera techs onto some art or mojo that is different FFD to the manual specs?  The SR and SR3 manual gives a normal FFD of 52mm and a high speed camera FFD of 51.970mm (-0.010mm).

I think camera techs commonly use a dial guage thet needs interpolation between the minimum units.  Hats off to them (I think).

EDIT: I have read posts by techs who talked about placing the exposure just beneath the surface of the emulsion.

I just saw Dom's post.  Dom,  why do the HS models have a slightly shorter FFD? 

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 07 September 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#12 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

Dom,  why do the HS models have a slightly shorter FFD?

I always assumed it was because the pressure plate design is different in high speed mags, allowing the film to float a little more in the gate as it flies through at high speed. So the camera flange depth is set a few hundredths of a mm shorter to accomodate for that.

Abel Cine

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

CineTape