Don Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sound Department
  • The Original Boston UK

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

Hi
Can anybody help, looking through my K-3 viewfinder I have a black shadow at the bottom of frame on checking it seems to be the mirror shutter is this normal with the K-3

Regards

Don

#2 k3shooter

k3shooter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:42 PM

Hi
Can anybody help, looking through my K-3 viewfinder I have a black shadow at the bottom of frame on checking it seems to be the mirror shutter is this normal with the K-3

Regards

Don

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Don,

Did you clean the ground glass? It's a small piece of plastic, just behind and above the shutter. Remove the lens, it's easy to get to. Take a q-tip or lens cloth and clean with lens cleaner or rubbing alcohol. If you use a q-tip it may take a while to get all the little fibers off, but with a little patience it will come clean. Hope this does the trick. You can also clean the mirror shutter while you're in there, just be delicate with both mirrors and don't apply too much pressure while cleaning. Some shutters were not polished very well from the factory, not much you can do about that. I just performed all the above maintenance to my own K3 and all is clean and bright in the viewfinder. Good Luck. Let me know how it goes.

Greg

#3 Don Brown

Don Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sound Department
  • The Original Boston UK

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi Don,

Did you clean the ground glass?  It's a small piece of plastic, just behind and above the shutter.  Remove the lens, it's easy to get to.  Take a q-tip or lens cloth and clean with lens cleaner or rubbing alcohol.  If you use a q-tip it may take a while to get all the little fibers off, but with a little patience it will come clean. Hope this does the trick.  You can also clean the mirror shutter while you're in there, just be delicate with both mirrors and don't apply too much pressure while cleaning.  Some shutters were not polished very well from the factory, not much you can do about that.  I just performed all the above maintenance to my own K3 and all is clean and bright in the viewfinder.  Good Luck.  Let me know how it goes.

Greg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Greg
I will give it a go and let you know how it went,
Regards

Don

#4 Don Brown

Don Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sound Department
  • The Original Boston UK

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:19 AM

Hi Greg
I will give it a go and let you know how it went,
Regards

Don

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Greg
Have found problem have stripped down front of camera asper www.k3camera.com and can see that the ground glass assy has a problem where the two 45 deg blocks must have seperated if you squeeze the two together it goes
so a new ground glass assy needed if I can get one.

Regards

Don

#5 k3shooter

k3shooter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

Don,

Sorry to hear that this is more involved than just a cleaning. If K3camera can't help, try giving Kiev Camera a call in Atlanta. They're on the web at kievcamera.com. Good luck.

Greg

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam