DP for Student Thesis Shoot - $250 per day

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nao_yoshino

nao_yoshino
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student with the New York Film Academy at Universal Studios in Los Angeles (CA, USA). I am looking for a cinematographer to collaborate with on my thesis shoot. I am working on two projects:

- A commercial for Volvo (I have obtained permission from Volvo Cars) B)

- An experimental horror film shot using 35mm stills (shot on film stock) :o

Being a student I do have constraints on budget, however, I realize the importance of the DP and his/her role in my shoot and I can offer $250 pay per day. I like to run a professional set and I have a small crew of 7 like-minded students.

I would like to collaborate with a DP who is local to the LA area and has time to meet at least two to three times a week over the next four weeks.

If you are interested please post your reply on this board or email me directly at film@naoworks.com - please include a link to your DP reel, or if you don't have something online, I would like to arrange a convenient time to meet with you in person.

Thank you for your time!

Best,

Nao

#2 Raymond O'Neil

Raymond O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

Dear Nao,

forgive me for asking a potentially nosy question. I have a bunch of interesting ideas that I think could be well used for commercials (Pepsi, etc). I was wondering if you could give me couple of pointers as to how it works in the advertsigin business. Who do I need to contact? Do I need a manager/agent to pitch my ideas? Where can I pit my idea?

I also have several talented people who I can shoot a commercial with, instead of just pitching an idea. Is that better?

Thank you very much in advance

#3 nao_yoshino

nao_yoshino
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Hey Mastroiani,

Well, my big secret at the moment is that I approach brand names under the guise of being a student. I am a student, so it's not really a 'guise', but one can't help feeling like one is milking the status quo. B)

It's relatively straight forward when there is no money involved. I am not being sponsored on the whole (except for one beer brand who wants to help) so all I am really asking for is their permission to shoot a scene featuring their product. I have to sign all kinds of forms stating that I hold the copyright on the final product; however I can't distribute it in any way other than for private screening purposes - etc. I don't even need to ask them really - I'm never going to show the commercial publicly. So asking for 'permission' is really just a way to 'get in' and get talking with someone in a position to make decisions.

I very rarely have to meet with the brand once the 'deal' has been arranged. I find that European companies (ie, companies with principal HQ in Europe) tend to prefer to meet and chat during the pitching process, whereas American companies prefer to do it by email. I was pleasantly shocked with one particular American company (they make games for PCs) sent me a reply email saying, "Great idea. Go for it." - that was the whole content of the email.

One company explained to me that they probably wouldn't be able to hire me - even if they really liked my filmed commercial - because they have contracts with existing agencies that they have to fulfill. How true this is in general, I don't know.

A friend of mine who works in commercials (mainly line-prod and 1st/2nd AD work) tells me that she got work by sending a DVD of her commercials and short films to production houses and following it up with an email and phone calls. I guess that's another approach.

So ... there's nothing really special about the way in which I obtain permission from big brands - just ask!

Hope some of this helps,

Nao

CineTape

Glidecam

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets