Photo

Ziess 15mm CP.2 vs Tokina PL-mount 11-16mm?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to add a wider PL-mount lens to my kit, and seem to have whittled things down to these two - the Zeiss 15mm T/2.9 CP.2 and Tokina's in-house PL-mount 11-16mm T/3.0.

I currently have a couple of Zeiss CZ.2 zooms (28-80mm and 70-200mm) and a 21mm CP.2 - so obviously the look, coatings and ergonomics of the 15mm CP.2 would slot in nicely with those. And optically, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it (I've only used the lens once myself, and it worked fine, but I didn't really get to use it in anger).

I'm wondering whether people think the greater versatility of the Tokina zoom outweighs the upsides of the prime though?

I have the 11-16mm in a Nikon mount already, and it's an acceptable piece of glass - but beyond it's use for crazy wide angles, I can't say it's ever sung to my soul or made me want to use in any circumstance except when I really need the crazy-wide FoV. The 21mm Zeiss on the other hand, I just adore, and use as often as possible (so if the 15mm Zeiss is more likely to get me excited to frame things with it, I'd probably rather go that route).

Has anyone used both lenses and can offer any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

#2 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

Cp2 as it is more of a proper Cine lens with proper witness marks. Tokina is just a rehoused stills lens without reliable witness marks and enough barrel rotation to pull focus on. I am not talking about its sharpness or its optical performance but just its ergonomics.

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Giray, are you referring to the Duclos (et al.) rehousings of the Tokina? Or the new PL-mount version they've put out themselves: http://www.tokinacin.../11-16mmT3.html

It looks rather more serious than the rehousings, with 166 degrees of focus rotation and they say that it's parfocal. 

I'm rather wary of buying a lens that I've never heard a user review of though.

#4 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

Cps have nearly 300 degree rotation. I was referring to the Duclos version. I didn't even know Tokina made one as well as I don't really pay attention to lenses like that too much. I tend to work with industry standard equipment usually. I would go with the CP if I were you.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6767 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

If you're going to be going wide wide (and it seems you are) I think you'd be ok on the Tonika. Personally I'd rather an 18mm than anything much wider, but, you seem to be mostly a zoom guy already-- so maybe stick with the motif?

I mean if you wan top of the top, the UWZ 9.5~18-- but that's kinda dreaming.

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

The Slider

Willys Widgets