10 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4778 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:48 AM

Also at IBC the new 21-100mm/T2.9-3.9 from Zeiss. A lens trying to make the best compromise in it's design in cost, weight and zoom range.

http://www.zeiss.co....-zoom-lwz3.html

https://www.cinema5d...tary-cine-zoom/

http://www.newsshoot...-than-10000-us/

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 13 September 2016 - 04:49 AM.

#2 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

If only there would be a 15mm-100mm non ramping  T2.8..  $15,000 max  PL lens.. !

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4778 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

That would be a big lens.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11384 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:41 AM

Played briefly with the Zeiss on the Blackmagic stand today. No handgrip and no extender, but of course you can flip the Ursa Mini into crop mode for comparable results.

Biggest SNAFU is that they're happily telling everyone about the enormous focus rotation, which is the wrong decision for this sort of lens. Everyone's weirdly obsessed with the idea that everything has to pretend somehow to be a cinema lens. This is not a cinema lens. It's an ENG lens, and a very lovely one. But because Zeiss can't bring themselves to say so, it has to have "cine-style" focus handling. Oops.

Other than that, great!

#5 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

ah interesting.. yes big mistake I agree.. the reason I didnt buy a Cabrio ,which I used alot as a rental.. was the focus travel.. way over 200 degrees.. useless for doc,corp ..owner op world..one of the main reasons I got the CN7 was the 180 degree focus travel.. are Canon the only ones to get that right..these are not high end cine lenses for drama,s.. Im not too sure those markings are up to it anyway..  mmm I wonder if  people on the more Doc/Corp forums ,that are raving about this lens know about the focus.. its just un usable for that world anyway.. 

Just to clarify ..Im in that world.. Im not looking down my nose at the doc/corp forums.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 13 September 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11384 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

To be fair the new Zeiss doesn't have back focus adjustment either, so its focus marks could be as accurate as anything. That is, however, not really the purpose of it, as we've both said.

#7 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever Else We're Filming

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

If only there would be a 15mm-100mm non ramping  T2.8..  $15,000 max  PL lens.. !

Zeiss went a little better with that - the 16.5-110mm T/2.6 Master Zoom! Not quite $15,000, but they'll move homes for around $25,000 USD a piece these days.

4632770262_02f86eebb2.jpg

All the range and speed you need - and yet it only weighs 11kg :)

Edited by Mark Kenfield, 13 September 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#8 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

haha ! yes perfect for hand held.. 11Kg..!!   doc people think my CN7 is huge, but the commercial people are really amazed at how small the thing is.. 

#9 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

To be fair the new Zeiss doesn't have back focus adjustment either, so its focus marks could be as accurate as anything. That is, however, not really the purpose of it, as we've both said.

But that is the purpose of it. As you also said, it's patently not an ENG zoom - no handgrip, no extender, no servos, no short focus throw, no back-focus adjustment. Just because you want it to be doesn't mean Zeiss have mis-marketed the thing.

From everything their spokespeople are saying, the target demographic is the sort of people who bought CP-2s, who wanted a wide range, affordable, cine-style zoom. It basically fills out the CP-2 family with a matching zoom. There probably is a larger market for ENG style zooms, but that wasn't the design brief.

#10 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

But that is the purpose of it. As you also said, it's patently not an ENG zoom - no handgrip, no extender, no servos, no short focus throw, no back-focus adjustment. Just because you want it to be doesn't mean Zeiss have mis-marketed the thing.

From everything their spokespeople are saying, the target demographic is the sort of people who bought CP-2s, who wanted a wide range, affordable, cine-style zoom. It basically fills out the CP-2 family with a matching zoom. There probably is a larger market for ENG style zooms, but that wasn't the design brief.

Yes good points..  I dont think you,ll ever get an optical extender on these s35 zooms.. even the ENG style ones.. well there are only about 3 of those at the moment and they dont have it..

News shooter had a clip will an ASC DP on their site.. he see,s this lens as a C camera lens.. or gimbal.. although had no complaints about the lens itself.. thats what I wonder.. the top end will stick with the big zooms they are already using.. and dont care so much the rental costs.. so I thought this lens was targeted to more owner users.. which will be more the doc/corp world.. and smaller indie drama market.. people moving up from stills glass.. or a few primes they have been able to buy.. then a huge focus travel is a real disadvantage for ever expanding non AC market.. and the mid/top end seeing it as a C camera lens.. 

#11 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11384 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

As you also said, it's patently not an ENG zoom - no handgrip, no extender, no servos, no short focus throw, no back-focus adjustment.

I'm not so sure. Several of those features (back focus, macro, extender) would have (very significantly) increased the price. A lens company designing to essentially a brief I made up in my own little head about three years ago would also have omitted those things to keep it sub-$10k. If one were designing a more-affordable version of a Cabrio or a CN7, those are exactly the compromises I would have made.

There is the possibility that the focus rotation won't be a complete dealbreaker, in any case. Peering at online images, it seems to me that the first 90 degrees are between MOD and about five feet, which may make it easier to handle. I'm not sure. I could be wrong.

zeiss-lightweight-zoom-lwz3-product_02.j

As to intent, they showed it on an FS7, after all.

P

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Pro 8mm