Brett Allbritton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of years now, but this is my first time posting. Usually whenever I've had questions I can find answers here, and I'd like to thank you all because I have learned so much from this community.

I have some concerns about my Krasnogorsk-3 that I'd like to discuss. I've been interested in learning to shoot on film, and I managed to purchase one back in January for about $60 after shipping. For a simple camera to learn on, I thought the price was great.

As far as I can tell it runs smoothly and is in pretty good condition, but of course I'm not quite experienced enough to make that call. There are two things that I've noticed might be issues for my camera though, and before I start a short personal project I plan on doing soon, I'd like to get everyone's insight on it.

One problem is that the top loop former doesn't move when I push down the plunger. I can physically pull it up myself, but it doesn't open up the way the bottom loop former does. At first I wasn't that worried about this because I was thinking I'd remove these anyway, but after watching the disassembly and reassembly videos several times, I chickened out and will likely send it to a professional for that if need be.

The second problem is something I noticed that seems different about mine compared to those I see in Youtube videos about loading the camera. In a couple of these videos, the rollers that you feed the film into are able to open up slightly, as can be seen in this video here at 1:22. When I tried that, they won't budge at all.

Are these serious problems for my K-3? Will it still work despite these issues? I appreciate any insight you all may have.

#2 Wiliam Cardoza

Wiliam Cardoza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Other
  • Salinas, California

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

Opening up rollers, you mean like at 00:36?

Have you tried pulling up? 

Use the tips of your fingers and you can feel where just the top part disengages etc.

#3 Brett Allbritton

Brett Allbritton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

Oh! I just tried again and it worked. I never realized you had to pull up the top part before you move it. Thanks, Wiliam, that solved one problem. :)

#4 Brett Allbritton

Brett Allbritton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

An update:

I got my K-3 back yesterday after having the loop formers removed and the camera cleaned, and I'm really happy with the result. I've even been able to practice loading it with some scrap film and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Does anyone have any advice on cleaning the gate? The manual I found for it online suggests using a Q-Tip, but I feel like this would just end up leaving little strands of cotton behind. I'm thinking of just using an air blower I have for my lenses, but I thought perhaps someone here might know some good tricks.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

I agree about the Q-tip- a 1/2" paintbrush is about right for 16mm. Careful with the air in case it just carries stuff into the mechanism. Depending on your eyesight you could check for hairs with a magnifying glass. Tweezers are helpful if you're careful with the metal.

For the film path, to prevent emulsion buildup, the usual recommendation is an orange stick or similar polished wooden pointy thing. I suspect that cocktail sticks aren't well enough finished and might leave splinters.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 20 October 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#6 Brett Allbritton

Brett Allbritton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Tallahassee, FL

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Thanks, Mark! By the way, I saw your video on how to load it and it was very helpful.

I got worried about keeping the gate clean while practicing loading it. I used the same 3' piece of scrap film multiple times, then wondered if maybe that would leave behind some kind of residue. I also didn't have an extra metal spool to use, and had to use the plastic ones; the sprockets don't seem to fit properly on those.

Do you typically clean it every time you load a new roll of film? I'm sure that I have a clean, unused paintbrush somewhere that should be useful.

#7 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

I'd clean every roll but emulsion buildup isn't very rapid- more of an issue with 35mm. where the film runs much faster and 1000' at a time. I probably wouldn't bother with the orange stick unless I actually saw some buildup.

Don't use the plastic spool with good film- the flanges are too flexible and it will not be lightproof. Your lab may have a spare or two.

Incidentally I have never used the K3 except to clip-test some old VNF which I developed in a bucket, but it didn't come out. My last Super-8 film was finished 15 years ago and I haven't shot 16mm. since 1991. I get to run some on the Steenbeck occasionally. Good luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Krasnogorsk-3, K-3, Meteor 5-1, 16mm, Repair

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Zylight

CineTape

Quantum Music Works