#1 Edgar Nyari

Edgar Nyari
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any information regarding the DI process for the film "Death Proof"? The first part of the film looks like it has been scanned from a print, but I'm not refering to the, probably fake, scratches and damage, I mean the way the image looks. Either that or it's a very good approximation of a film print done in grading. It's hard to put my finger on it though, what exactly gives that look. It's not just the contrast. There's something "in your face" about film prints which seems to be hard to emulate in grading.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18958 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

It was shot in 3-perf according to IMDB, which means most likely a D.I. but as for the wear & tear and the look of a print, I don't know.  The Robert Rodriguez film tied to it in "Grindhouse" was shot digitally on the Panavision Genesis camera, so probably the same software used to make that look more rough and contrasty was modified and used on "Death Proof".

#3 Edgar Nyari

Edgar Nyari
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

I just found this:

This clip features some alternate takes where actors seem to give their regards to the editor. The thing is, these clips seem to have really been lifted from a print, because there are pen writings near the slate and that same print look (only more warmer in tone) even for the second part of the film (which on bluray looks a lot different and more like a regular film transfer). It seems that for some reason they made film dailies even though the film obviously went through DI. Maybe they used them for reference in the grading process to recreate a print look, or perhaps they actually used them in scanning of the first part of the movie.

Paralinx LLC

Pro 8mm

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Zylight