28 replies to this topic

#21 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

That's the reason why focus pullers don't buy their own kits until they have saved the money for them and can afford the best one that they can afford at that time :).

Until then, follow focus kits are hired with the camera and focus pullers do what they can with what they have :) 

#22 Armen sarkisov

Armen sarkisov

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel aviv

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

It's very easy to talk about buying the very best gear when you're being paid appropriately. Most people won't be and that's where the rest of it comes in.

P

well said.

#23 Alexandre Valentim

Alexandre Valentim

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

I have a Cmotion Cooporate. Never had a problem within the last 4 years that i own it.
Rock solid, robust, and it simply works.
Just upgraded to the Cvolution and I'll give a feedback soon.

Worked a few times with Arri WCU-4.
Overall it works fine and a plus feature is the possibility to control some Alexa's functions. But sometimes it loses communication with camera and also had some issues with losing motors recognition.
It doesn't have hardstops like my Cmotion and that bugs me a lot ;) and the Cmotion range is way much better that WCU-4
Rtmotion, only tried a couple of times but it seams also nice.

About camera control, I wonder why Cmotion, Preston or other brands don't have the possibility to have camera functions control like WCU-4? Does Arri keeps that locked just for them...? Probably...

Edited by Alexandre Valentim, 02 March 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#24 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

I've spoken to sales reps from both cMotion and Arri. Basically Arri likes having integration with other brands (the new cmotion can control motors through the internal LCS of arri cameras) but actual settings are currently locked to arri brand products. Something something reliability something assurances blah blah blah.

As far as I know, if arri let cmotion or preston, they would have those controls in their hand-units. 

#25 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

is the best oneIt under my point of view, end of the story. 

Almost everybody in Ireland who doesn't own a Preston is working with the WCU-4

In Spain people are starting to buy them because they can control absolutely everything when they are linked to the Alexa, let alone the fact that there is no brain on the camera when you have an Alexa with the integrated brain.

Less hassle, everything works much better.

Have a good day!

My only question would be what happens when you are not working with an Alexa?  That's why I like the Preston.  It works with all systems.

G

#26 Bertil Nilsson

Bertil Nilsson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:07 AM

My only question would be what happens when you are not working with an Alexa?  That's why I like the Preston.  It works with all systems.

G

If the camera doesn't have built-in motor controller (like Alexa Plus, Alexa Mini), you have to put one of ARRI's universal motor controllers on the camera - same as the motor driver required with Preston.

#27 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

If the camera doesn't have built-in motor controller (like Alexa Plus, Alexa Mini), you have to put one of ARRI's universal motor controllers on the camera - same as the motor driver required with Preston.

I've had lots of issues with Arri WCU units- going back several generations back to the older "chocolate bar" style batteries. They seem prone to interference and seem to lose signal at distances much closer than the Preston. Yet, European ACs swear by them! I've heard that it's because the frequencies that they operate on in Europe are not allowed for it to operate on in the US, or something of similar to that nature... Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

#28 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

G

Sorry Greg! I never saw your answer! 

Bertil answered it tho :)

As of lately I have been having some issues with the WCU4 and Arri Alexas so I'm not as enthusiast as I was before about the system; we even had to change the handset on one of the commercials I was working on because the handset didn't work properly.

Said that, I've never experienced issues with Prestons so I think that I will be going back to Preston for the next jobs.

Have a good day! :) 

#29 David Schuurman

David Schuurman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

How do all these stack up to my LenzHound?

CineLab

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Opal

Abel Cine