Photo

Transfer Company = New Lasergraphics "Director 10K"?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Matthew B Clark

Matthew B Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Interesting points. But can we also have Technicolor?

In all seriousness, I appreciate the depth of your writing in that response, Perry. Very well sums it up. Also, I really cant ever bash anyone for working toward the larger picture here....supporting the advances in these technologies that keep film viable in the first place. Now, is it sad that a near-perfected, already beautiful, perfectly functional industry of purely photochemical workflows has deteriorated? Well, yes. That makes even me, who has never worked with it, very sad. But, I am very happy that there are some systems being developed that keep film in the game (and actually above the game in many ways). So theres that. As for the every-day super 8 test...its still very much debatable. Ive had (curiously) most labs actually talk me down from the overscan in almost every case. Citing the negligible increase. However, the functionality of systems for the future is obviously a critical point. It isnt bad to calculate for that.

#42 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

Good info Perry. Wanting the 10K scan is the reason you mentioned about 8K monitors. I'm thinking future proof there too. Let me know if you get this scanner. I'll get the HDR option with the 10K scan for best results.

Perry- compared to 5K, how much space do you think a 10K 16 bit DPX file will be?

Edited by Scott Pickering, 18 October 2017 - 11:07 PM.

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets