Photo

Transfer Company = New Lasergraphics "Director 10K"?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Matthew B Clark

Matthew B Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Interesting points. But can we also have Technicolor?

In all seriousness, I appreciate the depth of your writing in that response, Perry. Very well sums it up. Also, I really cant ever bash anyone for working toward the larger picture here....supporting the advances in these technologies that keep film viable in the first place. Now, is it sad that a near-perfected, already beautiful, perfectly functional industry of purely photochemical workflows has deteriorated? Well, yes. That makes even me, who has never worked with it, very sad. But, I am very happy that there are some systems being developed that keep film in the game (and actually above the game in many ways). So theres that. As for the every-day super 8 test...its still very much debatable. Ive had (curiously) most labs actually talk me down from the overscan in almost every case. Citing the negligible increase. However, the functionality of systems for the future is obviously a critical point. It isnt bad to calculate for that.

#42 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

Good info Perry. Wanting the 10K scan is the reason you mentioned about 8K monitors. I'm thinking future proof there too. Let me know if you get this scanner. I'll get the HDR option with the 10K scan for best results.

Perry- compared to 5K, how much space do you think a 10K 16 bit DPX file will be?

Edited by Scott Pickering, 18 October 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#43 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:43 PM

Been a year. Is there any other companies out there that has one of these machines now? Find it strange they've only sold 1 in the entire USA. And that company doesn't do smaller guages like Super 8.

#44 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

I know they've sold a ton of ScanStations, and at NAB they said they had sold some 10K directors but the places we talked about were overseas. I don't think they were commercial facilities. Of course, that was several months ago. 

One thing worth noting with the Director is that you will not get 10k scans from Super 8. It's limited to about 5k. This is because it doesn't have the same optical system as the ScanStation, which allows the frame to fill the sensor. It's 10k for 35mm, a bit over 8K for 16mm and 5k for Super 8/8mm. Physical limitation. 

#45 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Other
  • Born in L.A....NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base.

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

Been a year. Is there any other companies out there that has one of these machines now? Find it strange they've only sold 1 in the entire USA. And that company doesn't do smaller guages like Super 8.

Why not write the company? Go to the source.

#46 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:05 AM

Perry. I wasn't aware of the scan limitations. So basically with Super 8, there is no option today to go above 5K then?

What about 16mm? Anything above 8K?

#47 John Rizzo

John Rizzo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Other
  • New York N.Y.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:30 PM

Hey Guys

I just got back from Hollywood and one of he things I attended was the REEL THING Aug 23 through Aug 25 at the Linwood Dunn Theater one of the presentations was called Burden of 10k Dreams 

presented by Anthony Matt of Prime Focus and Laurel Warbick of HBO they scanned a section from a camera negative of a HBO Feature from 1995 in both 4k Director(done by my facility Metropost in NY and on the Lasergraphics 10 Director done at Lasergraphics Headquarters in Irvine Calif.  They showed the results in split screen side by side I can tell you ha there was no apparent gain in quality of the 4k vs the 10k. Not to mention the insane file size of one single 10k frame. 

#48 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:03 PM

Could it be that their projector was only 4K to show the two? There are no theaters that go above 4K yet, but that will change. Im trying to future proof my scans, so I'll be ready when 8K comes for home use. Looks like 5K is the max rez for small guage so far today. No word from Perry, which makes me think 5K is it.

#49 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

Scott, Jack has a point - if you're sitting the correct distance from a screen, you shouldn't see a difference between 4k and HD. 10k is about 4.5x the resolution of 4k. If you had a screen that was 4.5x larger then you might be able to make an argument for the higher resolution. But if you view the footage on an appropriately sized screen at an appropriate resolution, you shouldn't see a difference. 

As for the limits of scanning resolutions, right now 5k is it for 8mm film. I'm not aware of any scanners that go higher, outside of home-grown systems. But of course, there's always the possibility that as higher resolution cameras come out, the resolution of the existing scanners will increase too, through upgrades. I mean, I have no idea if/when, but if a 6k or 8k camera came out for the ScanStation, we'd seriously consider it. 

You're never going to truly futureproof your scans, because cameras are going to keep going higher. I mean, you just have to weigh the cost and benefits. You already have 5k TIFF scans of your films, which are massive files. 10K is 4 times larger than that!

#50 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

Yeah. My scans were DPX actually. I have been working with them again lately to finish up the whole project. I've got an edit suite for video being set up, so I can work on the sound. End result is a 4K file and also a blu ray. I will make a DVD so I can use it to dupe over to S-VHS for backup. I ended up not using your timed video and corrected it on my own. I used to work in a photolab for 19 years, so I can easily correct the image to how I want it.

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Glidecam

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc