4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

what sort of Super 8 stock is used on this show? What frame rate do they shoot at and what sort of telecine to what format?

chris

:)

#2 Raffinator

Raffinator
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:54 AM

Since their use of Super 8 takes place almost exclusivley outside in bright daylight, I'd assume that it would be K40, although the grain and color often make it look more like Ektachrome, so go figure... despite the fact that I have seen Super 8 look better, their Super 8 footage is still the best looking stuff on that show, by far. It pisses me off because they never hold the shots long enough!

Raffi

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

Since their use of Super 8 takes place almost exclusivley outside in bright daylight, I'd assume that it would be K40, although the grain and color often make it look more like Ektachrome, so go figure... despite the fact that I have seen Super 8 look better, their Super 8 footage is still the best looking stuff on that show, by far. It pisses me off because they never hold the shots long enough!

Raffi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that they are going for a ameture home movie look, perhaps it was Ektachrome.

#4 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

I would bet money it's not Kodachrome.
It doesn't look fine-grained enough, but I'd agree with you, it looks better than the video, but then they cut back after only like 3 seconds!

It's cool that they do it at all though.
I'd guess it's 200T, probably at 18fps, 'cause it looks kinda strobey.

MP

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:57 PM

I emailed the show and got a response back from someone there. My question had to do with the Super 8 look of those inbetween segment breaks. I was wondering if they actually used Super 8 or if they found a magic plug in to take the edge off video. They confirmed it was indeed Super 8 and transferred in Switzerland I recall. I did not ask what stock they used but I would think it was Kodachrome and the colorist is given a bit of latitude on the look. Perhaps they have a few rolls of Ektachrome on hand as well. I was just impressed that it they were using Super 8 at all.

Tim

Opal

The Slider

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Technodolly