#1 Robino Jones

Robino Jones
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

I'm considering purchasing a BMD mini 4.6K but I have 2 questions for owners.

1. Can you undercrank with this camera and what are the frame rates available? And if undercrank is possible, can you set the shutter to the corresponding angle needed or enter it manually - Can the timebase be set to 23.98 or 24fps? (Example: set the camera to 2fps, shutter to 1/4th (180°) and timebase to 24)

2. Is there aliasing or moire at specific resolutions and also when using ProRes vs RAW?

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2971 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

The blackmagic cameras all share a time lapse mode which enables users to capture X amount of frames per minute. My cameras are currently on loan, or I'd check the menu to see what the parameters are. If memory serves me, you should be able to do 2fps with that mode no problem and the record format will be whatever frame rate the camera is set to normally.

The URSA Mini does need an anti-moire (optical low pass filter). Currently there isn't a bolt on solution available, but I would assume in the future there will be. You can help soften the issues by running a IRND. Shooting with the full imager's resolution, also helps greatly. Pro Res and RAW look practically identical, so there is no "codec" issue, just resolution. If you buy an URSA mini 4.6k to shoot 2k or below, you bought the wrong camera. It's an open gate Super 35mm cinema camera, designed to shoot at that frame size all the time.

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Zylight

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

Paralinx LLC

The Slider