Photo

Power BMCC / RED ONE from 12v/24v acid battery?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hank Vadim

Hank Vadim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready for a shoot this coming winter and looking into backup power sources for my camera. For my main power souce I'm using three Switronix V mount batteries. I don't know yet if I will be shooting on BMCC (12v) or Red One camera (14.4v). The question is, what should I know about connecting my cameras to acid batteries? Will I be fine with just connecting the right battery (battery with correct voltage) straight to the camera without any converters? Also, how do those acid batteries perform in cold/sub zero temperatures? 

Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

np18-12b-yuasa-12v-17.2ah-lead-acid-batt

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

never tried red one with those but a blackmagic will definitely work just by connecting with a cord. but it is better to have more voltage for it than 12v so a 14.4v v-lock battery or similar would be more practical than lead acid and also higher capacity compared to weight and size. you can purchase a simple bmcc power connector with cord from ebay and adapt that to work. I have made a tamiya adapter for our bmpc4k so it is also possible to use airsoft batteries with it or to attach a extension cord between battery and camera if needed

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam