#1 Davi Silveira

Davi Silveira
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Washington

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Cinetape is one of those tools that is very helpful for focus pullers, but it's very expensive. Would anyone be interested in an affordable Cinetape solution? I'm curious to know because I'm developing one that measures FT-in or M-cm, will be using a 5v rechargeable battery, LCD Display, and mounting options. Future upgrades would integrate with your phone via App, Bluetooth, and VR headset. The idea is to also make it as accurate as possible, we all know ultrasonic sensors have their issues but for those who use Cinetape and know of its value I'm curious to know if you'd be interested in a more affordable option that doesn't compromise quality and accuracy?

Let me know in the comments below, thanks.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6790 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

I think anyone who can bring a product to market for a lower price without sacrificing quality and accuracy will do very well. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some kind of cheaper solution

#3 Davi Silveira

Davi Silveira
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Washington

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

I think anyone who can bring a product to market for a lower price without sacrificing quality and accuracy will do very well. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some kind of cheaper solution

Adrian,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know, gives me some comfort as I pursue forward. 

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11388 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

Just beware, lots of people will say it's a good idea, then not buy one when you've spent months writing code.

P

#5 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 600 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

I think that it is a good idea to bring new products to the market.

There is one thing that your product should do and is to show the distance in the Preston / Scorpio / WRC screen as the Cinetape does.

Might be a very silly thing to ask for but there are plenty of times where a focus puller doesn't have access to the Cinetape screen and you don't want to rely on your phone to see the distance because that's something that you have to hold too.. while holding the wireless follow focus and pulling focus!

Have a good day!

#6 Davi Silveira

Davi Silveira
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Washington

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

I think that it is a good idea to bring new products to the market.

There is one thing that your product should do and is to show the distance in the Preston / Scorpio / WRC screen as the Cinetape does.

Might be a very silly thing to ask for but there are plenty of times where a focus puller doesn't have access to the Cinetape screen and you don't want to rely on your phone to see the distance because that's something that you have to hold too.. while holding the wireless follow focus and pulling focus!

Have a good day!

Thanks, I'll definitely take your comments into suggestions as we develop this product. Lots of new ideas and thoughts.

#7 Davi Silveira

Davi Silveira
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Washington

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

Just beware, lots of people will say it's a good idea, then not buy one when you've spent months writing code.

P

I know what you mean! Can't really trust anything till your chickens hatch. :)

Edited by Davi Silveira, 15 October 2016 - 10:14 PM.

#8 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 530 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

I've always found the discount options not able to compete with the more expensive professional equipment.  There's a reason for the gear that has the price tag.  This also reflects poorly on the AC who brings in the 2nd choice items when compared to the AC who has the Preston, Cinetape or Light Ranger.  Sad to say that there is judgement.  

G

#9 Moe Hissi

Moe Hissi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Lebanon

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

i researched all over for a long time, Cinetape seems to be the perfect system. But i cannot afford it anytime soon. i have my laser distance meter, it has a live mode that helps but of course the laser is visible on camera so i never use it. it would be great to see a new compact and simple yet affordable system.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

Quantum Music Works

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Visual Products