Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

Requires USB power, I assume?

Yes. Though tempted to put a LEMO 2 pin on the back of it and a decent lithium battery in there. But that raises the cost about £50-60 :(

It is why I am using USB Mini though because it is a pretty solid connection. Unlike Micro...

Ideally I would spin up a couple of boards and do it professionally. Would make it a lot better. Could then make the LEMO an optional extra as well as the battery.

This would also help with the 3 momentary switches I need to have and possibly a power on/off switch too.

But that is 50+ units. Though I have had 2 pre-orders already so maybe that is an option..?

Edited by Jack OGara, 13 January 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#23 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I would avoid doing large numbers of this sort of thing. You'll just end up with a box of bits and be out of pocket. There are places in China which will do PCBs for not much, with a couple of weeks' turnaround since they're waiting until they have enough enthusiasts to panel up a whole giant industrial-scale PCB manufacturing run.

A lot of projects like this end up being a box full of standard dev boards and I don't really see it as a problem as long as the assembly is done to a reasonable standard. The problem with PCBs is sticking the bits on. If you can do it all in through-hole it's fine, and I suspect you probably could if you were willing to ISP program the AVR (though you might want to retain the ability to send out reasonably easy firmware updates and have people flash them over USB). I have some miniature strobes which could be absolutely tiny with custom boards, but even assembling TQFP and BGA packages is a nightmare, and switching power supplies can be a real pain in the neck to lay out as well.

That said, I would look into giving it a 12V input, at least. Hirose or lemo would both be fine and shouldn't cost £50, you can buy them in singles for perhaps £15 (less, if you're willing to tolerate knockoffs). You might find you got asked for a lot of different power cables, and you might find you could make more on the cables than you did on the device.

You could also do it with 2.1mm coax DC connectors. They're OK so long as you get the ones with the threaded retaining ring, so they don't pull out, but I think if I were going to do that, I'd probably just throw a Hirose on there.

There are a million and one little power supply boards available as I'm sure you're aware, many of which would give you a nice convenient wide-ranging input capability. Resist, though, the urge to just connect it across the 5V input. Having 5V coming out of a USB input can be bad.

P

#24 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

I would avoid doing large numbers of this sort of thing. You'll just end up with a box of bits and be out of pocket. There are places in China which will do PCBs for not much, with a couple of weeks' turnaround since they're waiting until they have enough enthusiasts to panel up a whole giant industrial-scale PCB manufacturing run.

A lot of projects like this end up being a box full of standard dev boards and I don't really see it as a problem as long as the assembly is done to a reasonable standard. The problem with PCBs is sticking the bits on. If you can do it all in through-hole it's fine, and I suspect you probably could if you were willing to ISP program the AVR (though you might want to retain the ability to send out reasonably easy firmware updates and have people flash them over USB). I have some miniature strobes which could be absolutely tiny with custom boards, but even assembling TQFP and BGA packages is a nightmare, and switching power supplies can be a real pain in the neck to lay out as well.

That said, I would look into giving it a 12V input, at least. Hirose or lemo would both be fine and shouldn't cost £50, you can buy them in singles for perhaps £15 (less, if you're willing to tolerate knockoffs). You might find you got asked for a lot of different power cables, and you might find you could make more on the cables than you did on the device.

You could also do it with 2.1mm coax DC connectors. They're OK so long as you get the ones with the threaded retaining ring, so they don't pull out, but I think if I were going to do that, I'd probably just throw a Hirose on there.

There are a million and one little power supply boards available as I'm sure you're aware, many of which would give you a nice convenient wide-ranging input capability. Resist, though, the urge to just connect it across the 5V input. Having 5V coming out of a USB input can be bad.

P

I have been pricing up doing a batch of 10 prototype boards from PCBcart and a few other places.

With cut tape components from Mouser it works out to be around £7-10 per unit. Which is pretty good.

Looking at only a 15-20 components if I go down the ATMega route, which is what I would want to do as I have developed on that platform.

It also comes in a nice package that is not BGA (though they do offer it). The rest of the components come in sizes that I can pick and place by hand too so doing 10-20 boards by hand is not a lot of work, and can easily be done.

Do people actually use those threaded DC barrels? I retro fitted one to my 7" LCD for my shoulder rig and love it but I often see so many products that use DC barrels to not bother.

There are a few open source designs out there that I am looking at for the power supply. This is the main reason why I want to spin my own boards really.

Fitting that plus the ATmega board, momentary switches and a decent battery in what I want to be a small package is not easy.

It all depends on how much interest I see in this. Having a few mates say they want one is different to 20, 30 or 50 people saying they would like one.

#25 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

With most DC-to-DC converters it's just a case of implementing the examples in the datasheet, but it helps if you can get one which specifies a PCB layout as they're a bit twitchy.

P

#26 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Finally got the carbon fibre prints done. 

This is not the final final print as there is a small modification I made since this print. But basically there.

What you think?

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

#27 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Glamour line?

#28 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

Glamour line?

Wa?

#29 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

It's a step where the two halves of a case come together, intended to make any misalignment less obvious. It's usually a trick of injection moulded cases like this:

18j1wissumujmjpg.jpg

A 3D printed case, if you print both halves of it in the same orientation, are probably going to be better aligned than most injection molds, but you might consider doing it for the sake of convention.

P

#30 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Oh I get ya.

Trying to neaten it up by having a single final extruded wall layer on one of the sides that will compress a bit when the case is screwed together.

It is not as bad with the latest revision of the case. But still noticeable. 

#31 Davi Silveira

Davi Silveira
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

Oh I get ya.

Trying to neaten it up by having a single final extruded wall layer on one of the sides that will compress a bit when the case is screwed together.

It is not as bad with the latest revision of the case. But still noticeable. 

Jack!

Holy Crap man, very cool. I started this topic and kind of left it but you sure have been busy! I work for a huge Lawfirm and they do a ton of startups and TechCrunch and so on. There is a ton to talk about, let's get in touch, please email me and we can discuss a few things on design pricing. I had a prototype built as well just not as far as yours but it was functional. Even switched from Ft to Meters. Go to my site and click on the contact button.

www.davi-silveira.com

Awesome work!

Davi 

#32 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:56 AM

these look very interesting. How do I get on the list of people trying it out? / How much?

#33 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Looks amazing! :D 

#34 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:56 AM

I don't usually rent cinetapes, but I also don't usually put myself in situations where the AC can't see the lens - 

However, I have 10 pounds somewhere and would very much like to test this out.  

When you get to the "I'm going to make several prototypes" phase, let me know. 

#35 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:28 AM

these look very interesting. How do I get on the list of people trying it out? / How much?

Looks amazing! :D

I don't usually rent cinetapes, but I also don't usually put myself in situations where the AC can't see the lens - 

However, I have 10 pounds somewhere and would very much like to test this out.  

When you get to the "I'm going to make several prototypes" phase, let me know. 

We are actually really close now.

Just finishing off the final prototype to show off hopefully this weekend. 

Will be taking it on set with me tomorrow and trying to get someone to take photos of it in use.

More info and the latest previews here: https://www.facebook.com/ogarastudios/

Edited by Jack OGara, 17 February 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#36 Joe Medlock

Joe Medlock

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Bristol, UK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Really think this deserves to have an aluminium housing. Very excited to place an order on one when they are available to the public 

#37 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Really think this deserves to have an aluminium housing. Very excited to place an order on one when they are available to the public 

We were planning on doing aluminium case but it would bring the cost up and would mean we would need an external antenna on the case. 

Now we are working on milling a plastic case that is just as good.

#38 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

We are now live on IndieGoGo!

Please share around with your friends. The more orders the better the product is.

https://www.indiegog...ematography.com

#39 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Sign me up man, I'm willing to give anything affordable a shot. I'll hit that indiegogo thing next pay day. 200 GBP works out to be 320 Aus dollars which is a small enough amount to have a punt on it.

Questions tho: If it stops working, is there anything in the way of returns or service? 

#40 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Sign me up man, I'm willing to give anything affordable a shot. I'll hit that indiegogo thing next pay day. 200 GBP works out to be 320 Aus dollars which is a small enough amount to have a punt on it.

Questions tho: If it stops working, is there anything in the way of returns or service? 

Awesome thank you!

We are still working on the terms writing, but it will come with 6-12 month warranty for sure.

It will be return and replace/fix.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AC, 1st AC, focus, pull focus, cinetape

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineLab

Wooden Camera

The Slider