#1 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

Has anyone else gone out this weekend to take in some magical cinematography on the big screen for a second time?

Cuaron shooting 14-24mm for the entire picture set a fantastic vibe like the audience is really there on a screen that huge.

I checked out the third one of the series and was glad to view a new-age classic on an IMAX level screen. The only cons were that the speakers were set 10 dBs too loud and that everything was DCP even for the older pictures originally put out on 35mm.

It'd be nice if they made a yearly/bi-yearly thing out of this. Or simply did it to promote every new HP spinoff.

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

Kind of a nebulous post.   Where was it being screened?  AMC theaters?   Art house type theater?  Elsewhere?

#3 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

I just watched Harry Potter 5 at my house, and Harry Potter 2 on Saturday Night because a mate had never seen it.   Does that count? 

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18965 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

I saw that advertised in an NYC multiplex theater, one with a digital IMAX screen -- it's not an art house re-release.

I was tempted to see "Half-Blood Prince" one more time, it's probably the best-lit one.

Here was the Variety announcement:

http://variety.com/2...max-1201876273/

#5 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Director
  • OG from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

Kind of a nebulous post.   Where was it being screened?  AMC theaters?   Art house type theater?  Elsewhere?

Any one of those larger theaters would've been screening it. It says you live in NJ on your profile they had every single one screening in Elizabeth and New Brunswick. Movietickets.com was showing the spots were somewhat common compared to what you'd expect.

The one thing I recall about the Potter movies is when David Yates took over for the final 4 titles, the overall aesthetic vision within the shots was stepped WAY up. Glad to see they're moving a check his way for the two spin-offs.

Anyone else have a take on Yates' work?

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18965 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

It might be useful to compare the two Potter movies shot by Roger Pratt, #2 and #4, for different directors to see the affect that the directors had on the look when using the same cinematographer.

Abel Cine

Quantum Music Works

Tai Audio

Technodolly

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

CineLab

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products