#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:33 PM

I just purchased a Super16 Bolex and I bought a roll of 7285 to test it. I dropped off the roll at Pac Lab here in NYC. As I discovered this new filmstock requires E-6 processing and not the typical VNF I guess.

Can someone elaborate more on the differences between these process? I'm curious as Mr. Pac informed me he can push it and I can still get some kind of image to see if the camera is functioning.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

I just purchased a Super16 Bolex and I bought a roll of 7285 to test it.  I dropped off the roll at Pac Lab here in NYC.  As I discovered this new filmstock requires E-6 processing and not the typical VNF I guess. 

Can someone elaborate more on the differences between these process?  I'm curious as Mr. Pac informed me he can push it and I can still get some kind of image to see if the camera is functioning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compare for yourself:

http://www.kodak.com...h2411/h2411.pdf

http://www.kodak.com...h2412/h2412.pdf

http://www.kodak.com...uals/z119.shtml

The E-6 films were designed for the E-6 process. If processed in VNF-1, you will get an image, but may have speed and contrast mismatch, due to differences in the process chemistry and parameters (e.g., shorter developer time in VNF-1).

#3 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

I picked up my roll of film today and I do have to say it doesn't look bad at all. I don't have the eye that some of you pros do but it came out much better than I expected. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this roll from any other roll I've processed before.

There was some mild flickering in the image however. I'm hoping it was the projector at the lab. I shot the footage in my living room with the available daylight coming in. I have to check the footage on another projector though. Could this possibly come from a bad motor? My sync motor has a light on it if there are any sync problems. Not sure what it could be from yet.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:43 PM

I picked up my roll of film today and I do have to say it doesn't look bad at all.  I don't have the eye that some of you pros do but it came out much better than I expected.  I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this roll from any other roll I've processed before. 

There was some mild flickering in the image however.  I'm hoping it was the projector at the lab.  I shot the footage in my living room with the available daylight coming in.  I have to check the footage on another projector though.  Could this possibly come from a bad motor?  My sync motor has a light on it if there are any sync problems.  Not sure what it could be from yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for you! :)

Did Pac-Lab run it though their normal VNF-1 process, or did they change something like developer time? As I said, you certainly will get an image, and maybe it's close enough to normal for your use.

#5 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

From what I understand he merely pushed it 1 stop. I dropped off another roll and I can ask tomorrow.

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks