#1 Tristan Noelle

Tristan Noelle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

I've got a pretty run and gun narrative night exterior shoot coming up and while I'll probably be using some battery equipped Lightpanel Astras, I wanted to field some ideas on hard, single point source battery options. Something at about the output of a 200w HMI or greater.

Ideally an option I can source from a rental house, not have to track down car batteries and inverters on my own time (unless it comes to that).

Does such a thing exist? Thanks in advance,

Tristan

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1530 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

Sun guns, if you can find a rental house that still has them.

#3 Edward Lawrence Conley III

Edward Lawrence Conley III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

Arri Pocket Par

200 Arri Pocket Par W/ Bug Light Adaptors W/ X Small Chimera
     30 Volt DC Ballast for 200 Pocket Par

Wooden Nickel Lighting  

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18958 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

There are also some onboard LED lights that are not a panel array but have a round front that projects a harder light -- something like the Dedolight Mini-LED's for example.

http://www.dedolight...ED9-D&section=0

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11371 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Something at the power level of a 200W HMI would have to be at least a 200W LED, which is fairly rare. The Dedo LEDs are 90W and there's an open-faced light by Aputure, the COB-120, which rates at just over 100W. Neither of these would compete for output with a reasonable 200W HMI.

P

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18958 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Since this is night exterior work, I assume that more smaller and energy-effienct sources would be more useful than something large that wouldn't last long on batteries, but if the idea is to actually light a larger area with "moonlight" I wouldn't even consider using battery-powered lights.  So there's a chance that a 200w HMI is a bit overkill unless one is using it for a large bounce.

#7 Tristan Noelle

Tristan Noelle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the information David, Phil and everyone else. 

A little more info: I'll be shooting A7s at 3200iso, supplementing available/location light, but leaving it quite dark.   It'll be outside several different suburban houses with practical Halloween lights and decorations.  I'd like to be able to put a moonlight branch pattern on a house, people, etc. leaving it a stop or so under, or add a hard kick to actors. But I won't be back lighting a whole yard or street.

I'm interested in batteries mostly because we'll be moving a lot and I'll only have one swing grip helping me. Also we end up in an alley without easy access to power.  It does occur to me that if I'm setting up a C-stand with a branch and placing it in front of a light, running a stinger for said light is probably not what slows us down. 

Tristan

#8 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1530 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

What's the budget?  One night shoot?  Keep it simple, make it easier for yourself.  Rent a small generator, a Honda 2000 or a 7000.  You can keep it on the truck.   Not having a plan and competent crew that can think for themselves will slow you down.

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11371 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

There's also Zylight's F8 series. There's a 100W option, or the 200W option which is fan cooled. The behaviour is as a traditional fresnel and the 200W version would compete with a similarly-specified HMI while being marginally battery-powerable.

They are somewhat expensive but the build quality appears to reflect this.

P

#10 Michael DeStefano

Michael DeStefano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Electrician
  • Sun Valley, Ca

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Our Filmgear Power LED 40, 80, 160, 240 and 360 all can be powered by battery. Tungsten, daylight and Bi-Color. Also check our 150w and 250w LED fresnels.

You can stop by to check them out if you like. We're in Sun Valley. 

dadcopowerandlights.com

Edited by Michael DeStefano, 21 October 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Stuart Allman

Stuart Allman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Tristan,

The 250W Hive Wasp will produce a hard source and is color tunable from 4800K to 15000K, I believe.  Their newest ballast seems to take DC input.  You'd have to call them to get more details.  I haven't used the DC input before.

The Fiilex Q500 and Q1000 may also get you where you want to go and both fixtures definitely take battery input.  Fiilex had the Q1000 powered off a battery at NAB.  You'll get color tune-ability as well. 

If you're mixing with household tungstens you may find that you want to turn the color temperature down a bit from 5600K, otherwise you'll get 80's blue moonlight.

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.BlogSpot.com

#12 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11371 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

And that's bad?!

#13 Tristan Noelle

Tristan Noelle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

As an addendum to this topic, here's the short I shot that this post was in reference to. 

Locations proved agreeable so we had AC power everywhere, didn't need battery powered hard lights.  It was a 2 night shoot, only myself as camera and lighting.  Sony A7s + Shogun w/ a Canon 28-70 f/2.8 in a Fig Rig and some Rokinon Cine DS primes for the last scene. 

The director and I agreed that because of budget and time limitations, we would embrace an intentionally cheap aesthetic featuring handheld wide angles, garish colors, noise etc. (think early Peter Jackson or Evil Dead).

It was very quick and dirty but we had fun.  And about that 80s blue moonlight...

Tristan

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine