#1 Steven P. Denny

Steven P. Denny
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin, TX

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

For years I said I would never "chase the work".  However, the incentives have bottomed out here in Texas and production is damn near non-existent.

Just looking for ya'lls thoughts; pro and con.  How would you approach and plan for this desperate choice?

I'm considering leaving my family here in Austin, moving into a crappy, cheap apartment outside Atlanta to see If I can't land a few operating jobs in the next few months.

An AD friend of mine, who relocated from Austin to Georgia several months ago, wrote me last night and said:  "You should come this way.  It’s a bounty unlike anything you have ever seen.  Camera is always in demand as there is a shortage.  Currently we have 41 shows going on here simultaneously.  A new show lands and inquires about every 3 to 5 days."

If I remember, isn't there a "grace period" under the IATSE Local 600 bylaws that says when one relocates, you cannot do union work for a certain number of weeks/months?  Does anyone know what that time frame is?

Any insight or experience with this topic will be appreciated.

Thank y'all...

Steve

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1802 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Thought Georgia was a right-to-work state.  No unions.

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4389 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

You don't have to re-locate do you? Just keep your Texas license and address for now and find work first. Once you've settled, then you can figure out a more permanent residence. I know many people from Los Angeles whose families are here, but they live out of a suitcase 6 months of the year on location. Not an ideal situation, but there is absolutely a need for good workers in Georgia right now, according to my friends.

The other option is New Mexico, there are quite a few productions shooting there as well and it's a bit closer to Texas.

Chasing work is always a problem, but if the position you currently work is important to you, then you've gotta go where that position is needed.

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Tai Audio

Abel Cine