New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Brazil

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you a short film I directed called "The Man Who Knew Too Little". This is a detective type story inspired by an old TV show called "The Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (I'm a huge fan of that show). 

This was my first short and I shot this over a period of two years actually, lots of problems but we finally got it made. It's about 20 minutes long but I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to criticize, comment, etc.

frame11_720p.jpg

frame08_720p.jpg

frame01_720p.jpg

frame03_720p.jpg

frame12_720p.jpg

Available for download at https://vimeo.com/173146424

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

Very creditable. Perhaps a slightly heavy hand with the grain - has it affected the highlights, d'you think?

#3 Rodrigo Otaviano

Rodrigo Otaviano

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Brazil

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, I tested different grain patterns from Cinegrain but I decided to go with their Kodak 5217. I think the problem is that I shouldn't have uploaded this version to Vimeo. I'm not very technical but I read somewhere (maybe from you) that the compression they use in sites like Youtube and Vimeo doesn't work well with grain (and noise). 

This version was for festivals only (withoutabox screener, etc) which in the end turned out to be a major disappointment :-)

But we had a screening of this film in a local theater a few months ago (2K projection, DCP) and the owner of the place let me watch it two days before (so in case of any problem, I could make last minute adjustments). I was a bit worried about how the grain would look on the big screen and even considered changing it to a finer grain pattern but at least to my eyes, it looked great, less "distracting" than in this version you saw on Vimeo so I decided not to change anything.

I didn't noticed anything with the highlights though but now that you mentioned it, I'll take a closer look. Thanks again!

#4 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

Wow. Great visuals and I love the film noir look of the venetian blinds.

I hope I can once be able to make such nice visuals and even the film grain looks great to me.

#5 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

I think you did a really nice job mimicking a Hitchcock film - the camera work and pace...brings back all the fond memories and fun of his films. For a first short I think it is a success and you should keep going!  Just wanted to say 20min is a really hard length for film festivals (it means you take the place of 4, 5min films or 2, 10min films - so it needs to be really amazing). Also as the film is such a strong homage to hitchcock and that period of cinema it might not be exactly what festivals are looking for. I urge you to build on this work with more of your own voice. 

good luck! 

Edited by Albion Hockney, 30 April 2017 - 07:52 AM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

ZoomCrane

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine