Chris Schade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

So I shot a roll of Kodak 50D and 200T while on faction in mexico and recently sent the film out for processing and scanning. Yale Film and Video did the the work and called me when they were doing the telecine to ask if I had gotten my film wet since it was showing spots across both rolls.

They checked the rolls that were processed before and after me and said the issue wasn't present and it was just my film. According to the lab, the spots were present on the emulsion side of the film if you examine with a loupe.

I did not get the film wet so I'm not sure what happened? Screenshots of the issue are below. The spots move around so its not a lens or filter issue. 

My theories are: humidity? heat while film was in camera and in my backpack in 100 degree mexico melting emulsion? grease from the camera gate? the film got wet while in the mail? condensation after removing film from fridge before loading?

Any help would be appreciated

-Chris 

Attached Files

#2 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hi, looks like some form of condensation damage to me.  If not done previously, always make sure film is warmed up to room temp before opening the foil package.  In high humidity and high temp situations, this becomes even more important.  Good luck!

#3 Chris Schade

Chris Schade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, I had a hunch it may have been that. I'll just chalk it up to artistic effect

#4 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:39 PM

Water marks to me.

Eastman-Kodak Vision 50 D and 200 T films have hardened coatings, ECN-2 process is at 80 to 106 degrees F, no molten emulsion.

Grease or oil mottles don’t show white edges.

General gaseous moisture in can very unlikely to produce that effect, again because of no lime present.

They checked the rolls that were processed before and after me and said the issue wasn't present and it was just my film.

Your roll can still be affected. A squeegee lip lifted off or bruised by a staple, if they use staples to interconnect the portions. Something. I have worked at processing machines, believe me, a lot can happen.

Finally, even a manufacturer fault is possible. That would be something to have dripped onto your roll with Eastman-Kodak. Did you use short ends or original wrap?

#5 Chris Schade

Chris Schade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

Finally, even a manufacturer fault is possible. That would be something to have dripped onto your roll with Eastman-Kodak. Did you use short ends or original wrap?

I used original wrap bought from B&H. I had kinda ruled out manufacturers defect since it was on both rolls of different stock.

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Quantum Music Works

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

The Slider

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery