• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:44 AM

Seems seller thinks people will be glad enough to get some of these:

http://www.ebay.de/i...sd=322289774274

I sure hope it doesn't set an example for Ferrania filmprice policy :)

#2 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

Well, this price hike on discontinued films has happened before.  Now, EKTACHROME 100D is getting rare.  IF and WHEN Ferrania being film production, prices will be in a more realistic range.   And IF they are successful in producing color reversal filmstock, few would consider paying Euro 89 per EK100D film.  AND, notice he stated that it's NOT even stored Frozen as it should be....just at 18C.   Unless stored FROZEN, the film will continue to rippen and age normally.   I have films that have been stored frozen since they were new, over 30 years now, and still yield good color.  I wouldn't buy film at that price or anywhere near it for stuff that hasn't been stored frozen all this time. Even in a refridgerator would be colder than 18C!

#3 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

For less money, you can shoot fresh Vision3 stock, process it and have it printed in positive by Andec.

And according to many people, with a much better quality...

#4 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

In my opinion there isn't also appropriate for experiments, this is only speculation that is not good for our world. I can understand 30,40 EUR, but not 89!

About the print Vision3: any of you use the positive print for edit the film? Or all use the negative?

#5 Joel Rakowski

Joel Rakowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • United States

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, I sold the last of mine earlier this year for around $70 USD / piece. 

Frozen since shipment though so I felt alright about it. Totally agree with Marc on this one...I'd rather shoot V3 50d anyway.

#6 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

About the print Vision3: any of you use the positive print for edit the film? Or all use the negative?

I've edited a negative for the first time last month (wet splicing), and now I'm waiting for Andec's polyester print.

Lots of anticipation!

#7 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:21 AM

Well, this price hike on discontinued films has happened before.  Now, EKTACHROME 100D is getting rare.  IF and WHEN Ferrania being film production, prices will be in a more realistic range.   And IF they are successful in producing color reversal filmstock, few would consider paying Euro 89 per EK100D film.  AND, notice he stated that it's NOT even stored Frozen as it should be....just at 18C.   Unless stored FROZEN, the film will continue to rippen and age normally.   I have films that have been stored frozen since they were new, over 30 years now, and still yield good color.  I wouldn't buy film at that price or anywhere near it for stuff that hasn't been stored frozen all this time. Even in a refridgerator would be colder than 18C!

To be fair it does actually say minus 18C. Though it says chilled rather than frozen which is odd. Still, €100 plus with postage is absurd.

#8 christophernigel

christophernigel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

I have used 100d not stored frozen  and is still good !

#9 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

That is a bit about semantics :)  "die durchgängig bei -18 Grad gekühlt "   -18 Celsius is a good storage temperature. Water freezes at 0 but films and packaging really don't at any temperature :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar, 16 November 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#10 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

I've edited a negative for the first time last month (wet splicing), and now I'm waiting for Andec's polyester print.

Lots of anticipation!

Quote, this week I do the same thing, I send film to Andec to have the positive print in polyester.

#11 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1935 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

I found two Ektachrome 100D 16mm reels in the fridge! Have to wait until summer to find something worthy to shoot.

#12 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

I'm going to wait for Vision3 50 Reversal with pre-paid processing :wub:  When the new camera and all of it's untold goodies come out.

#13 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

I found two Ektachrome 100D 16mm reels in the fridge! Have to wait until summer to find something worthy to shoot.

This is the guy to get invited to dinner by. Might be some Beluga and truffles kicking around at the back somewhere, behind the '47.

#14 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1935 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

This is the guy to get invited to dinner by. Might be some Beluga and truffles kicking around at the back somewhere, behind the '47.

If I wait long enough, there won't be anyone left to process 16mm reversal.

#15 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

I'm going to wait for Vision3 50 Reversal with pre-paid processing :wub:  When the new camera and all of it's untold goodies come out.

Even the Vision3 500T may develop directly in reversal, projectable, without the need of print?

#16 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

Even the Vision3 500T may develop directly in reversal, projectable, without the need of print?

Sorry, I written badly, so it seems that the film like this already exists.

I wanted to say: it could be created a Vision3 reversible film even with high sensitivity, as 500 Asa?  Existed a reversible color film, Kodak or not, like 500 Asa or more?

Edited by Luigi Castellitto, 20 November 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#17 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

Sorry, wasn't 100% sure that the eBay ad meant to be a minus symbol.  Looking at the ad again, it would seem so, so my mistake.  Even so, it's a high price, but, IF the film was truly deep frozen so it will be perfect in color, I would be willing to pay that much IF I had to.  Again, let's hope FERRANIA pull through and come out with their filmstock.  KODAK higher ups said earlier this year that they would be willing to make most any filmstock that they had the formula for (their own films of course), but the minimum order to startup is cost prohibitive.  Maybe we could interest Donald Trump or some other wealthy person to throw some supportive money to assist in getting Color Reversal filmstock made.  What we need are weathly hobbyists; they exist in other passions, why not film?

#18 Doug Palmer

Doug Palmer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

Maybe we could interest Donald Trump or some other wealthy person to throw some supportive money to assist in getting Color Reversal filmstock made.  What we need are weathly hobbyists; they exist in other passions, why not film?

Or his pals Vladimir and Nigel maybe. But I don't think rich politicians ever show much interest in film, let alone chemical film, unless they are in front of the camera. Just imagine, Donald's hair in Imax :lol:

#19 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

By the way, I forgot to say that Fuji Provia 100F in super-8 and single-8 is cheaper... and it seems it will be even cheaper next 2017 ;)

http://mimundoensupe...oradora-de.html

Use Google Translator and be amazed by the news...

#20 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:36 AM

Or his pals Vladimir and Nigel maybe. But I don't think rich politicians ever show much interest in film, let alone chemical film, unless they are in front of the camera. Just imagine, Donald's hair in Imax :lol:

#MakeFilmGreatAgain  :lol:

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Visual Products