Mendes Nabil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Director
  • Paris

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hello guys, how are you?

I have a Canon 1014 Autozoom and in the middle of a shoot i had a little "button" problem (here is a topic in which the author has the exact same problem) http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=25347#entry459289 

i was worried, so i opened the camera door, and with a little pen i've rewound the cartridge (i don't remember in which direction). I've run some tests to see if the cartridge was running, everything was apparently fine so i've shot what needed to be shot with that same cartridge, but the film came back almost totally blank from the lab, only 30 seconds were exposed, does that mean that i killed the Camera (button problem) or did i just mess up the cartridge?

Is there a way to know if the camera is still fine without paying for a cartridge and a lab' process?

Thanks all!

Edited by Mendes Nabil, 19 November 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#2 Mendes Nabil

Mendes Nabil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Director
  • Paris

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:06 AM

Does someone have an answer please?

#3 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

So you took the cartridge out and manually rewound it with a pen, by pulling the film by the perfs? Was this done in total darkness? Because if it wasn't, you have your answer...

#4 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:45 AM

So you took the cartridge out and manually rewound it with a pen, by pulling the film by the perfs? Was this done in total darkness? Because if it wasn't, you have your answer...

That would be something :)

#5 Mendes Nabil

Mendes Nabil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Director
  • Paris

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:00 AM

Not by pulling the film by the perfs but by turning with a pen that little circle piece on the side of the cartridge, in a clear bright day..

But why 30seconds of the film came back exposed? If i had messed up the cartridge, the whole film would have came back blank right? That's why i feel like the problem is the camera not the cartridge..

Let me know if you think i'm wrong, i have some other Super 8 footages to shoot, and it would be great not to have to buy an other camera..

Thanks all!

Edited by Mendes Nabil, 22 November 2016 - 04:02 AM.

#6 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

It doesn't matter by what means you moved the film, you exposed it to light. The 30 seconds of image that remained was the only 30 seconds of the film that wasn't exposed, and remained in the light tight cartridge.

The problem isn't the camera, and it isn't the cartridge. It's that by rewinding in broad daylight, you exposed all of the film except one section. 

Edited by Perry Paolantonio, 22 November 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#7 Mendes Nabil

Mendes Nabil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Director
  • Paris

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thank you Perry, i'm reassured now!

#8 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2215 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:14 AM

OP, is the film (not the transfer, the film) clear or black, and was it reversal or negative?

Because I don't think you wound the film very much at all- indeed you can't rewind more than a few dozen frames into a Super-8 cartridge using the drive dog on the cartridge without breaking the ratchet- the coaxial design means that you just stuff the film into a bit of free space.

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Zylight

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineTape