Photo

What do I need to mount the EVF-1 on the Alexa?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roman Alaivi

Roman Alaivi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

I recently acquired an Alexa EV Classic body with the EVF for a film I will be shooting in the Spring. I would love to know what I might need, specifically what adapter / bracket I need to get the EVF connected. Here is a picture of what I have currently:

https://goo.gl/photo...bihX64xhAgYHx69

https://goo.gl/photo...o616pKRALuKT7w5

From what I could find, the normal EVF mounting bracket is a VMB-3 like shown here: https://www.abelcine...unting-Bracket/

I'm just wondering with what I have right now, what bracket could I use to connect the arm as is? 3rd party solutions / ideas welcome as well. Thank you very much for any suggestions!

#2 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:28 PM

I would just get the original part. You invest that much money into an Alexa but cheap out on evf bracket. It seems a bit silly to me. What you have is the vf extension. You need vf ext leveler to hold the extension at whatever position you would like.

#3 Roman Alaivi

Roman Alaivi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:31 PM

Well, I didn't actually buy the camera, it's only graciously being lent to my production for a decent period of time. But I'm happy to spend money where needed. Outside of the leveler, is the only thing I need, the VMB-2 or 3? No other parts etc ? 

Thanks for the help btw!

#4 Bertil Nilsson

Bertil Nilsson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

The VMB-2 is the mounting bracket from the Alexa EV, the VMB-3 is the updated version from the XT onwards (also fits the EV). However are you sure the mounting bracket is not hiding somewhere in a case and/or with the people who are lending you the camera? It normally lives on the camera body. It seems silly to buy a new bracket for a camera that is not yours due to the cost.

I guess you could clamp the rod of viewfinder extension you have with a Nano clamp arm from the central handle, but that's going to be quite awkward/difficult to use if you were thinking of shoulder mounting.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Zylight

Quantum Music Works