dan_taylor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Producer

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

Hi there,

Just seeking some opinions. I've just received an invoice for the low-con print we had struck for our transfer, and my eyes went immediately to the additional (and sizely) charge for wet-gate printing. We never asked for this, and frankly, don't have the money to cover it. So I guess my question is this: Is it assumed that a lo-con print is to be a wet-gate print? Do I have legs to stand on if I go to the lab and argue that we were not asked if we wanted wet-gate and never specified that we DID want it?

Thanks everyone,

Dan

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

If you are making the low con print for telecine transfer, and it is from original negative, then you will be MUCH better off if it IS a wet gate print. The alternative will be a considerable bill for dirt removal on telecine in order to make your material acceptable. I wold say that it is generally the standard practice to use wet gate for all prints from original negative.

However, (a) most labs include the cost of wet gate printing in their normal rates for printing from original negative, and (B) if your lab doesn't do that, then they should have advised you of the costs beforehand. It's why we (and many labs) prefer to talk to customers about the services rather than simply take a walk-in order.

So in summary you do have legs to stand on in arguing that the lab hasn't fully advised you of the costs, and has provided something you didn't ask for: though they will argue that you didn't ask for dry-gate either! But you shouldn't feel badly about the unexpected cost, as you will have ended up with a better result, and ultimately will save money at the telecine transfer.

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery