#1 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi all, I'm shooting some e.commerce video.

I'm experimenting with two angles. This is ok, I like the first cut to the close up, but when it cuts back to the wide angle, it feels rather choppy and harsh.

What can I do make this flow a little more fluid? Camera movement? An extreme close up before cutting back to wide?

PASSWORD is 'pw'

Many thanks,

David

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11469 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

There's almost no limit to the amount of showing off you can do on this sort of thing!

That said, I've seen a bunch of stuff like that which was pretty much... like that, so unless they're expecting something that looks like a major national ad campaign, you're fine.

What was the brief?

#3 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

The reason why the first cut feels fluid is that it feels as if the girl is triggering the cut with her motion (turning). The second cut doesn't occur during any swing of motion. Cut at a point where she turns again and your fluidity is back.

Edited by Macks Fiiod, 05 December 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#4 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

There's almost no limit to the amount of showing off you can do on this sort of thing!

That said, I've seen a bunch of stuff like that which was pretty much... like that, so unless they're expecting something that looks like a major national ad campaign, you're fine.

What was the brief?

The brief is one wide angle, with the turn. This is a regular gig, over two years. But client always open to suggestions.

The introduction of the second angle is a new thing.

The cut back doesn't feel seamless enough to me. Despite cutting on the action. I think it's the static tripod wide shot that makes the cut so visible and jarring?

I think I'll shoot a third extreme close up shot, where fabric covers the entire frame. This might make the cut back to the wide shot more comfortable, like with a black frame.

Ideally, I'd like something like - wide shot dolly horizontal or arc, with the close up on jib/crane. Something really dynamic!

#5 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

The reason why the first cut feels fluid is that it feels as if the girl is triggering the cut with her motion (turning). The second cut doesn't occur during any swing of motion. Cut at a point where she turns again and your fluidity is back.

To be honest, I think the second cut is on the action, she has begun turning and it cuts just as she does. Given, a more ideal or obvious point within the action might be better.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post an update tomorrow, with your suggestion.

#6 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

To be honest, I think the second cut is on the action, she has begun turning and it cuts just as she does. Given, a more ideal or obvious point within the action might be better.

Yeah I was about to say, the second cut is happening too early. Think of it as the model doing the cutting, not you.

#7 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hey all, here is another test, where the second cut is definitely on the action. For me it still feels choppy, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

Password is 'pw'

#8 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

Now it feels a tad too late. Due to the second turn's slowed down velocity, it will be more difficult to find the perfect time.

One recommendation is having the models turn quicker so you can easily achieve seamless cuts.

Visual Products

CineLab

Pro 8mm

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Quantum Music Works