#1 Roger Alexander

Roger Alexander
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

How did they do the various levitation shots here? starting at 2:14 and then there's many different shots that continue throughout the video. In normal levitation photography, you have them propped up and posing on something like a stool/chair and you compoosite it out. This is much easier with a still photo. In this video though, the subject and camera are both moving.

My assumption is some places they use the same concept of propping him up on something and then doing a hell of alot of post work to edit out the stool? Rotoscoping and what not.

In other wide shots I'm thinking maybe they have a condor/crane with a wire harness that's holding him up and is edited out later?

Are there other methods to achieving this that I'm not aware of?

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2789 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

It's a wire rig, you can see the harness being worn in the wide shot, right around his belly. The other dead give away is the shot previous when he's swinging back and forward on the harness. Also the later shots where he's flying.

Rig removal these days is very easy, painting the shadow of the crane arm is also easy. You can do the painting out at home with After Effects. I've done it many times and it's very fast with the tracking tool. For sure not a complicated effect at all.

#3 Roger Alexander

Roger Alexander
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

It's a wire rig, you can see the harness being worn in the wide shot, right around his belly. The other dead give away is the shot previous when he's swinging back and forward on the harness. Also the later shots where he's flying.

Rig removal these days is very easy, painting the shadow of the crane arm is also easy. You can do the painting out at home with After Effects. I've done it many times and it's very fast with the tracking tool. For sure not a complicated effect at all.

Whats the wire rig suspended from usually? A Condor crane? Is there a cheaper option for this?

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2789 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

You need to run 3 lines, two for the waist and one for the back. This requires quite a rig and I'd be scared to suggest any method other then the proper one because it's easy to get hurt and potentially die. I have zero experience building the rigs, I only know the post process to get rid of the wires.

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Quantum Music Works

Abel Cine

The Slider