#1 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

Hey,

So I have a project coming up where I have to light up something known as mixed reality, basically through mixed reality one can see the virtual reality world interacting with the user in real space

To get a better understanding of what I mean you can take a look at the 1:30 second clip below

To accomplish this one practically needs a 360 degree [more accurately a 180 degree Field of View] chroma screen that needs to be evenly lit.

The room is 15 feet long/12feet wide and 12 feet high, although there is some amount of camera panning I can still place lights on axis behind the camera

I have come up with a couple of approaches to lighting this, would love to hear what you guys think

1 - Use a drum light in the center of the room with seperate lights for the character if need be

- Will this provide even lighting roughly throughout the space ?

- How long is a drum light ? Since my frame is roughly a full body shot with a light grid only 12 feet high is there a chance that it may leak into my frame ?

- How much does a drum light cost to hire in your part of the world ?

2 - Use Multi 20's in a softbox Or Kino Flo's [4 banks]

Since the width is not too much I think one Multi 20 for each dimension or a kino can suffice to light the space evenly 

Am I missing something here ?

Would a 2kw fresnel with the lens open be a better bet ?

3 - Placing bounce boards on the ceiling and lighting from below hoping that with some patience and well centered lights I might get even lighting across the room

Also since this is quite literally my first Chroma Project any tips/tricks or pitfalls that I must avoid will be much appreciated :)

Thank you for being so patient

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Zylight

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Quantum Music Works

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam