Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:31 AM

Hey people,

I'm looking into maybe buying the new JVC 1/3" GY-HD100. Have anyone tested other JVC cams, either 1/3" or 2/3" before? And if you have, what's your opinion?

I know that this is a new cam, and therefore it might be unfair to compare it with ohter models. But in my experience the basic setups of the cams don't change much withing the same brand.

Any tips and opinions would be appreciated.

LE

#2 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:19 AM

I worked extensively with the 1/2" JVC DV500 camera last year. I truly believe it was one of the finest cameras I've worked with, keeping in mind it was still interlaced scan and still miniDV .

The live output from the HD100's on display at NAB were incredible. On tape, the camera promises to use less compression than Sony, but the visual difference remains to be seen. The HDV format struggles with variable resolution artifacts and motion artifacts when the camera is in motion more than the HDV format can handle. Here's the big problem: It doesn't always keep up.

I personally am leaning towards the Panasonic HVX200 because of the selectable framerates (4-60Fps) and higher image quality with more color information. Those are features I could put to use today and continue my work in SD as the forseeable future for me does not involve HD... The Panasonic will also do HD, if that's your kind of thing. :)

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine