Photo

How should I define backend payments in contract for DPing feature film?

feature film film contract movie dp money payment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Alexander

Roger Alexander
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

In the middle of Feb. I will be DP'ing my first feature film. I will be providing my personally owned lighting and grip equipment as well as a RED Dragon cam. I will be lighting the scenes,camera operating, and providing directorial advice to the director. Shooting is scheduled for 3-4 weeks. There is a budget for me to be paid an (ok) rate in installments over the course of those 3-4 weeks. The film will be submitted to bigger studios/reps/investors for consideration of being picked up or bought and being produced on a bigger scale with bigger budgets. In the event that our version does actually get picked up, I assume the  the producer/production team is compensated for it correct? How exactly does it work? Is it one payment or is it like royalties?

I'm currently typing up a contract that is due in 24 hours to define the terms of work and payments for the project and I want to make sure that if there is backend compensation from getting picked up, that I get covered and receive a piece of that compensation. How should I word this in the contract? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6794 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

you really need a lawyer to answer these questions for you, specifically an entertainment lawyer-- i wouldn't even attempt to work out a contract like that off of online advice.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4801 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

I'm currently typing up a contract that is due in 24 hours to define the terms of work and payments for the project and I want to make sure that if there is backend compensation from getting picked up, that I get covered and receive a piece of that compensation. How should I word this in the contract? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

You shouldn't double post, it causes confusion, you already have a thread covering this subject (with replies).

CineTape

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Abel Cine

Zylight

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

The Slider