Photo

Blackmagic Cintel vs. Golden Eye II for S16mm Scanning?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Actually, that's the only question to begin with : ) But I'm also open to any other general comments or questions. Thanks.

If you're looking to scan 16mm in 4k, search for a Lasergraphics Scanstation in Australia. Maybe even email the Lasergraphics people and ask them.

We're seeing them more and more in the U.S. and they are really at the top of their game. You can even scan to 5k if you want although that's probably pushing usefulness on 16mm. But that would allow you to do a little re-framing & slight scaling without resolution loss.

#22 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Being an owner of a Scan Station now I can tell you it is a fantastic and extremely reliable machine, it makes a very nice scan and very fast.

To get 5K at 30fps it uses a cmos camera and that camera has limitations, specifically it is noisy and has fixed pattern issues in the hilites when scanning negative films.

Here is the camera used:

http://www.cmosis.co...detail/cmv20000

It is a far better machine than a BMD Cintel but compared to a Scannity or The Director or a Xena-5K etc there can be some issues.

Good, Fast, Cheap pick any two.

#23 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum, also in Australia, and found this topic while looking around for someone local to scan a 16mm project of mine I made in 1996.

I see this topic started about half a year ago, at which point Mark mentioned he could find options with the BlackMagic and the GoldenEye locally.

I've only been able to identify one production house in Australia offering the BlackMagic and none offering the Goldeneye.

...So my first question is -- to any Australians here, do you know of any production houses in this country with the Goldeneye or other 4k scanning facility for 16mm?

Actually, that's the only question to begin with : ) But I'm also open to any other general comments or questions. Thanks.

Hi Wade,

Cameraquip in Melbourne has the Golden Eye II, but I'm pretty sure it's only set up for 2K scans.

I don't think there are any other high-end scanners in the country, it's too small a market. From what I understand when the last of the big labs closed down a few years back all the post houses got rid of their film scanning equipment. The National Film and Sound Archive has a good scanner but I don't think it's available to the public. So I suspect you'll need to send yr film to the US if you want a 4K scan. Or look into NZ, if Park Road can do 4K scans of 16mm.

#24 Wade Clarke

Wade Clarke

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Sydney

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Will, Robert and Dom for the additional info.

#25 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum, also in Australia, and found this topic while looking around for someone local to scan a 16mm project of mine I made in 1996.

I see this topic started about half a year ago, at which point Mark mentioned he could find options with the BlackMagic and the GoldenEye locally.

I've only been able to identify one production house in Australia offering the BlackMagic and none offering the Goldeneye.

I made an initial approach to the BlackMagic house the other day about scanning my film in 4k, and they said the BlackMagic would handle 16mm in 2k, a point which seems to have been verified by what I've read online since (I'm learning fast.)

But I want to scan my film in 4k. I'm not going to do all this with this film again anytime soon, or maybe at all, so I want to go to the highest resolution of today that is good enough to archive the film and which also doubles as future/pending home entertainment resolution.

So my first question is -- to any Australians here, do you know of any production houses in this country with the Goldeneye or other 4k scanning facility for 16mm?

Hey Wade,

You'll want to talk to Malcolm at Cameraquip down in Melbourne for the scanning (http://www.cameraquip.com.au/), he's got the Goldeneye II, and it's pretty much your option for a proper, professional scan of S16mm anywhere on the continent. I'm pretty sure you can scan S16mm in 4k with it, though I really can't see how it'd give you any more REAL resolution from the negative over a 2k scan. S16mm just doesn't resolve that high.

The Blackmagic scanner can only do an extraction from it's 4k sensor for S16mm scans, so it gives you a less than 1080p master.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Mark Kenfield, 23 June 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#26 Wade Clarke

Wade Clarke

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Sydney

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Mark. I had come across that Cameraequip page before, but it gave so little info beyond a link to the manufacturer's homepage that I wasn't even sure they were offering to scan others' films, or if the device was simply for rent.

#27 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yep, the website's pretty useless. Just give them a call.

#28 Marcus Patterson

Marcus Patterson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hey guys,

This was a really useful forum.  I am shooting a S16 short, planning for about 8,000' of film.  We are getting it scanned at 2K on a Goldeneye II.  I plan to receive ProRes4444 files for editorial.  I have not scanned film before - I know I will receive log video files, but what is the best way to remap back to 709?  I see a LUT in DaVinci for "Cineon to 709" - would this be what I'm looking for?  I have a lot of experience creating my own LUTs for different camera manufacturer's log, but I really want to stay true to the 'film' color and contrast that we get from celluloid and at least start with a LUT that will get me as close as possible to the image as though it were projected from a print.

I am planning to do a test next week, but I wanted to get as much information as possible.  Any info you guys can provide would be great!

Thanks!

Marc

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly