4 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

Hi all,

I've just finished a Super16 short and already telecined everything flat grade onto digibeta and copies on DVcam for offline. I have finished the offline cut using DVcam and since there is no extensive and only simple color correction left to be done, I deicded to invest in a Decklink card($295), a array of hardisk, rent a digibeta, a monitor and master a copy in Final Cut. Do I need anything else?

Another question is about roughly how much disk space I need for a short film that between 25-30 mins with 4 hours of raw footages? I'm running on dual 1.2 Ghz G4 with 512Mb ram and already have a 160 Gig external harddrive.

Thanks. Additional info appreciated.

Daniel

#2 David Cox

David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi all,

I've just finished a Super16 short and already telecined everything flat grade onto digibeta and copies on DVcam for offline. I have finished the offline cut using DVcam and since there is no extensive and only simple color correction left to be done, I deicded to invest in a Decklink card($295), a array of hardisk, rent a digibeta, a monitor and master a copy in Final Cut. Do I need anything else?

Another question is about roughly how much disk space I need for a short film that between 25-30 mins with 4 hours of raw footages? I'm running on dual 1.2 Ghz G4 with 512Mb ram and already have a 160 Gig external harddrive.

Thanks. Additional info appreciated.

Daniel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Generally figure on about 1mb per frame for uncompressed material. You should keep things uncompressed if you are going to the expense of renting a DigiBeta. So for 4 hours, you'll need around 14Gbs - although if you have already done an offline cut you only need to conform in the shots you have used using an EDL. That way you'll only need enough room for the length of your film plus cutting handles.

Be aware that if your system is not cabable of grading and playing out to tape in real time and so needs to process your grades before play out, you will need twice the disk space (for the ungraded and graded versions).

The biggest issue with disks isn't size, it's speed. Your disks will have to generate a sustained stream of upto 30Mbs per second for the length of your film - double that if you have any mixes between shots that you haven't processed. If you disk pauses for a moment, you'll loose sync on your playout.

Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated, otherwise you'll create a grade that only looks good on that monitor.

You shouldn't need a sync pulse generator provided you set the digi beta to reference to its own playback when capturing into your system, and set to refenence to its SDI video input while recording.

Provided you know how to work a digi beta deck, you shouldn't be able to do anything technically too wrong. Of course, that doesn't account for your editing / grading skills :-)

Good Luck.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I wouldn't be so worried about disk performance as I would about general persnicketyness. Most off the shelf hard drives these days will, when they're unfragmented, sustain a single stream of uncompressed SD. Just. The main problem is not just getting video to the deck, but getting FCP to talk to the Decklink (which I'd hope to be simple) and get FCP talking timecode and device control so you can produce a broadcastable master with everything in the right place. I'd expect this kind of configuration to take a day, and I'd allow a week for "Oh, crap, we need an [insert piece of ancilliary gear]" incidents.

But yes, it should work.

Phil

#4 David Cox

David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

and I'd allow a week for "Oh, crap, we need an [insert piece of ancilliary gear]" incidents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - exactly!

I have heard that the Decklink products are very demanding on the host PC, because to keep the costs down they are basically just a converter on the bus. I think this is more problematic for the HD version though, where a slower PC (or where windows does it's "I think I'll go and do something else for a bit" routine) leads to dropped frames. Just hearsay though - I haven't touched one personally.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

Hi,

I've used the DVS boards, and they're pretty demanding, yeah. Similar situation; it's not so much a video I/O board as a PCI to SDI convertor.

Phil

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Opal

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc