#1 Reggie A Brown

Reggie A Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Missouri

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I thought the "Camera You Own" was an interesting tread. So, what are the lens you own? We should see some interesting jewels pop up!

I own:
Canon
85 f1.2
50 f1.8 stm
50 f1.8 II
40 f2.8 stm
24 f2.8 stm
75-300 f3.5 to f5.6
70-200 f4L IS
16-35 f4L IS

Tokina
11-16 f2.8

Samyang/Rokinon
8mm f3.5
35 T1.5 cine
50 T1.5 cine

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:03 AM

You'll be hearing from my lawyer.

This is actually beneficial so I can see which random members have things I'm hunting for so I can pester them to sell.

I currently own as of right now:

Various Canon FDs

80-200 f/4

50 f/1.4

28 f/2.8

24-70 f/3.5

RED 18-50mm t/2.9

Lomo Foton 37-140mm t/4.4

And 2 Fujinon AT2 B4 mount zoom lenses

Anyone let me know if you're selling PL primes.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

Set of Nikon series E primes, which are great, plus a Tokina 17mm, which is rather less great. 3D printed gears.

The Nikon series E, not to be confused with Panavision E-series, includes 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.5, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2.8 lenses. They are cheap, lightweight and fairly fast, and they match reasonably well. Optically they're, well, okay.

I also own a standard-definition Fuji 20x6.4 broadcast lens, but it is irrelevant these days.

P

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

I also own a standard-definition Fuji 20x6.4 broadcast lens, but it is irrelevant these days.

P

Crumbs, they're cheap.

Sorry.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

It wasn't super cheap in about 2002.

#6 AJ Young

AJ Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I don't believe a DP should own a lot of gear, but I do believe they should own glass they love. Here's what I've got:

• Nikkor AIS lenses: 20mm F2.8, 24mm F2, 35mm F2, 50mm F2, 85mm F2
  • MIR 24M 35mm F2
  • Helios 44-2 58mm F2
  • Jupiter 9 85mm F2

I'm particularly interested in the DSO Trump Lenses. Has anyone worked with them?

#7 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Seems no one wants to work with the Trump.. way too shallow with a very abrasive edge.. and lacking focus.. 

#8 AJ Young

AJ Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Seems no one wants to work with the Trump.. way too shallow with a very abrasive edge.. and lacking focus.. 

Cheeky, but I meant these lenses:

http://www.richardga...ks/trumpsystem/

#9 Reggie A Brown

Reggie A Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Missouri

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for that link AJ. I been looking for a pl to eos adapter.

#10 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

I only really own S16 Lenses.

Zeiss Super speed 16mm + 25mm (still haven't got around to getting a PL mount for the 25mm though)

Optar Illumina 50mm

Canon 8-64 zoom

And really ... I think these lenses are totally cool and work perfect with the BMPCC.

I'm already sad for the day I want a camera with a bigger sensor.

#11 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:02 AM

Zeiss Super speed 16mm + 25mm (still haven't got around to getting a PL mount for the 25mm though)

Have you been able to come across these in 85 or higher?

#12 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

Not at all. I haven't even seen a 50mm. I think for 16mm it was only 9.5mm to 25mm. 

#13 Reggie A Brown

Reggie A Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Missouri

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Brenton do you have some footage anywhere online that you shot using those lens? I'd like to see them in action.

#14 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Helios 44-2, Helios 40, Cooke 20-100. The Helios 40 is flawed but beautiful, Cooke is amazing.

#15 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Well I have no idea if this is interesting to anyone else, but the first (motion picture) lenses I ever owned were a set of Zeiss CP.2s. They were the first bit of proper camera gear I ever bought. And up to that point in my life, the most expensive thing I'd ever owned - they cost three times as much as the car I had at the time (and at the time, that car was the most valuable thing I owned!).

It wasn't even a planned purchase, it was just a good deal on practically brand-new set that someone had bought but had to get rid of, so I got it in my head that it was actually an 'opportunity'.

Well I can tell you - there's 'impulse buys', and then there's 'full set of PL-mount cinema lenses' impulse buys!  

But I don't regret it for a second, the Zeisses were based on the stills lenses that I'd always coveted, but had never been able to afford/justify so my stills work, so I knew I was getting glass that I loved the look of.

I made a lot of pretty pictures with those lenses, and the proper cinema mechanics allowed me to bring a much greater level of production value and technical precision to my work than I’d had before.

The set I bought included:

- 21mm T/2.9 CP.2

- 25mm T/2.9 CP.2

- 28mm T/2.1 CP.2
- 35mm T/2.1 CP.2
- 50mm T/2.1 CP.2
- 85mm T/2.1 CP.2

The 25mm Zeiss I sold, because at T/2.9 and such a close focal length to the 28mm, it seemed superfluous.

The next lenses I got were a set of the plastic Sony PL lenses that came with the F3 I bought:

- 35mm T/2
- 50mm T/2
- 85mm T/2

The Sonys were obviously surplus to my needs, and not up to scratch compared to the Zeisses. So I sold those straight away.

The CP.2s served me very well for the three or four years that I had them. But I started to find that I was pushing beyond the limits of the glass eventually (mainly things like CA on high contrast subjects at wider apertures on certain lenses). And between that, and a growing need to be able to work a little faster on set (and acquire coverage quicker too), I started investigating compact zoom options.

There were tonnes of great options out there - Canon's new CN-Es (which had the most useful focal range in just two lenses), the Arri Aluras, the Angenieux Optimo DPs (which have a gorgeous look), and Zeisses new full-frame CZ.2 Compact Zooms.

In the end, I whittled my decision down to a pair of the CZ.2 zooms, because the CA handling is incredible (it’s basically non-existent), the 18-blade apertures yield basically the nicest Bokeh of any spherical lenses I’ve ever seen, and I’d get to keep that lovely, cool, crunchy and three dimensional Zeiss look that I love so much:

- 28-80mm T/2.9 CZ.2
- 70-200mm T/2.9 CZ.2

It also seemed obvious that we were about to be bombarded with new vistavision-sensored cameras, so spending that much money on glass felt a lot less intimidating when they were going to be ‘future-proof’… as it’s turned out, the vistavision cameras haven’t been quite as forthcoming as everyone had predicted, so the focal lengths I have aren’t quite as ideal for me on S35mm as they would be on the larger sensor (where they’d be perfect). So I’m currently debating whether I switch my 70-200mm for the 15-30mm, or whether it would be smarter to simply add a 15mm T/2.9 CP.2 to the mix to cover the wider stuff when I need it. I already have another 21mm CP.2, as I couldn’t bear to be without one after I sold my original set, so I re-bought one of those straight away.

So that’s my lens story so far.

At the moment, I’m VERY interested in these upcoming Sigma superspeed primes, as they’d be perfect to have alongside the zooms, for times when I need the extra couple of stops, or lighter lenses for handheld work (and also because they have a nice, contrasty, modern look - Master Primes would be perfect to match in with the CZ.2s, but can often be hard to find the budget to rent, and the classic Zeiss superspeeds just look too different from the newer Zeiss coatings to match in well).

#16 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Congrats on Ghost, I hope the screening went well. Your work with the F35 is among the best I have seen.

#17 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

Thanks David, that's very kind of you to say.

#18 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Zeiss didn't make a Super Speed longer than 85mm. The 50mm came in both 16 and 35mm versions. The 85mm was 35mm format only.

Most people switch to Standard Speeds for the longer focal lengths

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc