I really hope this topic is in the good section, please tell me if I should move this subject somewhere else.
Next month I will be shooting in quite a remote area: a rain-forest. Here is a bit how a plan to do it and I hope you'll have some recommendations about it.
I'll be carrying a backpack and I have to expect a 2 or 3 day walk. So I started planning my workflow in order to consume the least energy possible and have some power source:
- Power source : for now my best idea is to carry a motorcycle battery, it seem to be a good compromise between power/weight. I'm am trying to figure out if it will be enough to supply everything for 10/14 days and if I need a solar panel to recharge it. I don't want to use an inverter because of the energy loss.
- Camera : Canon 5D, I found a battery charger working in 12V.
- Backups: I did some test and I'm going to use an android smartphone (lighter and consume less power than a laptop) to dump the CF card to two hard drives + a huge SD card. I'll be taking a 12V to usb car plug that you can find everywhere.
If I go down that road I need to confirm some things and it goes a bit beyond my scope of knowledge :
- 1) How can I calculate the drain of the camera battery/phone charger on the battery ?
(in order to know how much time I'll need to plug a battery to fully charge it and how many charges can the motorcycle battery hold ?)
Should I just go on the theoretical way and crunch some numbers or would it be better to actually set up and do some tests with a multi-meter ?
- 2) How can I calculate the charge of a solar panel on a battery ?
Would the solar panel need a converter ? (to smooth the electric output and be on a straight 12V ?) or will it be ok without ? OR is there a good other way to charge it ? with a manual Dynamo for instance ?
- 3) Is there some good apps on android to do backups or at least to check the integrity of the copied files ? I started checking what the play store had but I didn't find a good app for that.
If you went that far on my post thank you for reading, I'm looking for any kind of info that could help. If you know a relevant website/book/app regarding those topics or if you know other set ups that could be more effective. feel free to share it !
Thanks again and have a great day.