New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hi everyone !

For an upcoming project, I'm looking for a few dpx frames or .CRI from a Cintel s16 or ultra16 scan (I'm open about other film scanner but the lab I may work with has a cintel).
I'm more interested in Kodak vision 3 250D or 500T and looking for still or motion samples of the best quality 16mm film stocks has to offer. 

I have an Aaton LTR 7 at my disposal and I may do an ultra16 modification since it's a regular16 model with Aaton mount. With the right tools, precisely widening the gate must not be that hard, Is it ? 

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ulysse.

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

if you are going to spend any money on the camera, get a super 16 modification instead. It will increase the resale value if nothing else. The main reason is because Super 16 is a universally recognized format, ultra 16 is not. I know getting lenses will be cheaper with ultra 16, but not really that much more. 

#3 Ulysse Tassin

Ulysse Tassin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for your advises. I don't think I will pay for a super16 mod, It would cost more than the camera itself (a used Pl-mount super16 aaton LTR can be purchased for less than 2000$) and the cost of s16 lenses are not that cheap because they cover some super16 digital camera. I'm looking at 4000-5000$ for an upgrade and lenses in EU.
Way out of budget for a camera that I won't be using that often (already have the camera with few regular16 aaton-mount lenses: angénieux 9,5-57, Zeiss 8mm t2.4, Zeiss 50mm and angénieux 12-120).
Ultra16 is a nice alternative if you find a lab that can process/scan it but that is something I can look for in my area.

But if you have some frame grabs of S16 with cintel or any other scanner, I'm more than interested. ;-)

Ulysse.

rebotnix Technologies

Zylight

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Pro 8mm

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Tai Audio