#1 Alexandros Angelopoulos Apostolos

Alexandros Angelopoulos Apostolos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Student
  • Athens

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Well, the BBC is not really considered a top-notch technology-news source, but yesterday they had this article about TV manufacturers stopping the production of 3D TVs: “So long, 3DTV – we won’t miss you”.

Then today it was taken up by The Daily Mail: “Pulling the plug on a hi-tech turkey: Last two major 3D TV manufacturers announce they will no longer be making the sets”.

I bet some of you knew from the get-go that 3D movies are pointless and that this was just a matter of time.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5402 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

It was a silly idea to begin with, I need to watch the news in 3D?  So I can experience the blood and carnage they spew out on a nightly basis with greater effect?

3D as medium is just a cheap trick by Hollywood anyway, kinda like, "IMAX".  HA!

R,

#3 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

I think as early as 2013 there were rumblings that 3D home entertainment was not taking off... One wonders what is going to happen to all those 3-d BD disks that people bought...

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3110 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Yea 3D at home was silly. People simply don't care about 3D and if you put the same 3D movies at the same theaters in 2D, they would have identical attendance. Eventually the industry, especially IMAX, will wake up and realize they don't NEED to spend the money to convert every 2D movie into 3D in order to make money.

Prediction... the next big wave of technology to fail... 4k at home. ;)

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5402 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Well exactly Tyler, how much resolution do you need for the human eye!!!

R,

#6 Jack OGara

Jack OGara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Derby - UK

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

3D was never going to take off. I think I have 1 3D DVD from 2005 and that is it. It was fun to watch Shrek in 3D but that is about it. Just not bothered

since. 

4K HDR will kick off but wont fail though. Once people see it they really want it. But there is so little out there atm that support it in terms of TVs and content providers. Even then the content.

Unlike 3D, it is not a gimmick, it is evolution of home cinema and HD/UHD broadcasting.

Betting £5 on it.

#7 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

3D was never going to take off. I think I have 1 3D DVD from 2005 and that is it. It was fun to watch Shrek in 3D but that is about it. Just not bothered

since. 

4K HDR will kick off but wont fail though. Once people see it they really want it. But there is so little out there atm that support it in terms of TVs and content providers. Even then the content.

Unlike 3D, it is not a gimmick, it is evolution of home cinema and HD/UHD broadcasting.

Betting £5 on it.

Do we have to show up in the UK to get that (funny L symbol)5?

The one thing with 4K is that there are a large number of people who like the big screen, and that would support some 4K sales. Personally I've not upgraded my 720 'native' TV screen to even 1080(ip)... But then I don't position my viewing a football field's worth of distance away...

In terms of Broadcast... the real deal with implementing ATSC-3 or DVB-T2, which has higher resolution capabililty, is... more subchannels at reduced resolution...

In the US there has been a great amount of TV band channel 'repacking' which is to say, combining what use to be separate stations and transmitters into one transmitter, with the separate stations on a subchannel.

As for content providers shooting in 4K... could be sort of an ad gimmick or future-proofing, having been caught out on the NTSC/PAL resolutions of yore when the cutting edge went to 720/1080.

For my product, I watch a lot of content, purely for academic research purposes mind you... and one of the features of some HTML5 content is being able to see the bit rates that the media is being received, at. And often, even for 'HD' selection, the bit rate is below 5Mbs.

There have also been startling revelations from Netflix last year, that for content accessed via smart phones from providers like ATT, Netflix has adjusted the resolution/data rate to minimize going over the data caps that ATT has in place.

In a word, the industry uses for 4K suck people in, and then the reality is 'things are different'.

Most people don't spend time looking at performance much after they decide to get X service.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

I think HDR is in danger of failing because the manufacturers aren't really doing it properly. The 1500 to 4000 nit high grade professional stuff looks spectacular. I fear the 1000 nit LCDs and 500 nit OLEDs in consumer world just aren't sufficiently better.

P

#9 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

I never was blown away by 3D until I got a projector.   With a 7.1 audio system, it's a nice addition.  On a TV, meh.

#10 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

I very much doubt it.

There is a very noticeable difference in image quality between 4k Netflix/Amazon and the HD stream, viewed on the same 4k TV

The push towards 4k TVs may have been to satisfy the computer game market, but movie and TV producers increasingly have one eye on the 4k market, and are future proofing their product by demanding 4k origination, even if there are currently few ways to broadcast it.

#11 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Yes I think the 4K will stick.. for better or worse.. the TV manufacturers ,that by coincident make camera,s.. will just stop making non 4K sets.. then we had no choice .. and then hopefully HDR Rec 2020 comes in.. and we really will see a difference over HD..

I could see 3D TV,s were going out years ago here in Tokyo.. the massive, I mean like 10 story electronic shops were full of 3D sets .. as Sony/Pana really pushed them for the London Olympics..  they sold like chocolate fire guards.. and disappeared very quickly.. to be replaced by 4K sets of mind boggling size.. which are still there but have plummeted in price at least.. they all have netflix built in with a button on the remote.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 30 January 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#12 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3110 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Well exactly Tyler, how much resolution do you need for the human eye!!!

Depends on how far away you are from the screen. I mean, my screen is around 7 feet wide and I sit around 12 feet away. So yea in that case, it would be nice to have a higher resolution device. As a filmmaker who appreciates technology, I will absolutely invest in a 4k, laser-based, three chip DLP projector at some point. It's been my dream forever to have a decent home theater projector (I don't do monitors). For the vast majority of people who have 50 - 70 inch TV's, you'd have to sit 6 - 8 feet away for the resolution to matter.

#13 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3110 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

There is a very noticeable difference in image quality between 4k Netflix/Amazon and the HD stream, viewed on the same 4k TV

That's because they use two different streaming technologies. The 1080p signal is .h264 at around 5Mbps and the UHD signal is .h265 at around 15Mbps. If you streamed 1080p @ 15Mbps, you'd be not complaining. I have dozens of 15Mbps rips from BluRay and you can't tell the difference from the original media. (BD is 35 - 50Mbps .h264)

Also... right now it's in a "beta" phase. Once more people start using it, the quality will reduce. I remember when HBO did a special satellite HD Broadcast years ago, it looked awesome because it was 19Mbps! Long GOP MPEG2 stream and it was amazing. Now, we're lucky to get 1 - 5Mbps on satellite TV.

#14 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

So it took them like 7-8 years to figure it out? I own a hand-me-down 3D-ready TV my Dad bought in 2011 and I remember calling him a god damn moron the day he brought it home.

#15 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Macks I have a genius plan for you.. get your dad to buy a non4K Alexa.. then you can tell him he's a moron .. and you get a free camera ,, voila ! ..   

#16 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:01 AM

Side note.. Sony are just showing their new 2/3 inch sensor 4K ENG shoulder cam in the UK now.. not on sale yet... 

#17 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:07 AM

Macks I have a genius plan for you.. get your dad to buy a non4K Alexa.. then you can tell him he's a moron .. and you get a free camera ,, voila ! ..   

He's dead now. Guess I won that debate.

#18 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

He's dead now. Guess I won that debate.

Sorry.. seemed a good plan at the time.. 

#19 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

Sorry.. seemed a good plan at the time.. 

Still is, but the variables will need to be reworked slightly. Then I can take videos fast food restaurants in 2.7K

#20 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

3D was always a crap idea. Very few people genuinely liked it.

I was always very dismayed at the number of people who were willing to talk it up on the basis they thought they'd make money out of it. I thought some people made themselves look very stupid in trying to defend this stuff, but I hold out no great hope that any grand retractions are likely to be issued now 3D has failed for what, the fifth time?

P

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

Metropolis Post

ZoomCrane

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

The Slider

CineLab

Willys Widgets