Photo

NYC G&E rental question The LED Fresnel challenge!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Got a question for everyone familiar with NYC rental houses.

I'm putting a feature together and we're budgeting for a small 1 ton type package.  Does anyone know of any rental houses in the NY, NJ area that have already embraced LED fresnels and that are not charging a FORTUNE for them?

Some places have Arri L10DT at like $275 pday!  Why? Brand new it's $5,400

I can get an Arri 575 watt HMI for $200pd  and the HMI costs $10,000 new and it's way brighter.

This is the challenge.   LED's are less money new than HMI's but they're renting for more than HMI's.  They cost a lot less, they should rent for a lot less. Period.  Does anyone know of a rental house that operates on this basic principle with LED fresnels?

There has to be a rental house out there that is charging a day rate that makes sense in that regard.  That is not gouging people for a product just because it's new.  So if anyone knows of a good one in NYC, I'd love to get a recommendation.

Thanks again for any recommendations.

Edited by Michael LaVoie, 30 January 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11596 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Yes it's bloody madness. I have been making this point for some time.

There are people charging US$3300 for 200-watt LED fresnels. OK, very nice, beautifully-made 200-watt LED fresnels, but sheesh.

LED is not significantly more efficient than HMI and costs much more per watt at the highest power levels of which it is capable - and it is not capable of particularly high power levels.

HMI remains relevant.

#3 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

LED is not significantly more efficient than HMI and costs much more per watt at the highest power levels of which it is capable - and it is not capable of particularly high power levels.

The Arri I mentioned is supposedly equivalent to a 2K.  It draws only 400 watts.   As a replacement for a 575 that's not horrible even if it's not equivalent in output.   As a replacement for tungsten, it's fantastic.  

I'm also in small residential locations and I'm not throwing the light that far.  I should mention that.

So my hope was to put a package together that was mostly LED.  For a number of reasons.   1.  I really haven't used them much and want to put them to the test.  2. I'm in a historic landmark location and I want super light, very cool, small units that don't draw a lot of power on the generator.  3.  We're on a budget.

But I want to stick with trusted brands.  Just seems like nobody has found the right fair market value for rentals.  It's as if nobody wants them to take off.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

Can't make a personal testimonial on LED Fresnels.  But pick one or more that you'd like to test out and call 4Wall, they'll likely have them (all).

#5 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Can't make a personal testimonial on LED Fresnels.  But pick one or more that you'd like to test out and call 4Wall, they'll likely have them (all).

4Wall looks like they handle more stage lighting.   Was hoping for an Eastern Effects, Handheld Films, Xeno Lights type of place that could also send out a taco cart or combination carts in a sprinter van type of thing with everything.   I'd hate to do a separate checkout just for the units.

Ever work with these guys?  http://www.lighthouselights.com/   They don't have any LED fresnels on their site but I thought I'd check tomorrow to verify.

#6 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

No!  4Wall absorbed Shadowstone and several others.  Been to both (Shadowstone and 4Wall), they have it all.  Xeno: worn out equipment in terrible repair, certain to bite you in the ass.  Handheld, small time, nothing you can't get elsewhere.  Eastern.....can't comment.  Lighthouse, yes, but they will subrent what you want from 4Wall.  So w why bother?  Maybe look into 3Phase Rental in Clifton.

Edited by JD Hartman, 31 January 2017 - 06:32 AM.

#7 Edward Lawrence Conley III

Edward Lawrence Conley III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

L10-C is $300 week here.

#8 Edward Lawrence Conley III

Edward Lawrence Conley III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

3 Phase will be $400/week for an L10-C

#9 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

L10-C is $300 week here.

It's $150 from Arri Rental in NY.   I'm finding that getting them direct from Arri is the only cost efficient source for them.   The trouble is that Arri rents them all out to big long running shows. So they're never in house. I managed to secure 4 units total.  Two L10's and two L7's.   4Wall did have the L5's but at twice the Arri price.

It's just not the right time for LED fresnels I guess unless you're shooting OTNB or something like that.  But I'm eager to see how these 4 Arri units hold up.  I also picked up a bunch of cheap LED battery powered panels.  So I can see how the really cheap stuff measures up to Arri's best.   Will be an interesting experiment.

Of course we got some Kino's and tungsten just as a backup in case but my goal is to light the whole thing with LED's and natural light if possible.  We'll see.

#10 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

ARRI Rental is actually in Secaucus, NJ, right off Rt. 3.

ZoomCrane

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Zylight

CineLab

The Slider