#1 Nicholas Lorini

Nicholas Lorini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Jacksonville, FL

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'll be working on picture starting up in March and I've just been informed they already purchased the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I usually shoot on a Canon C100. I understand there are some differences between the two systems and I've done some research of my own (I'm aware of the necessity for expensive CFast cards and an OLPF) but I'd like to put the question to the community here:

As an Ursa Mini user what are the advantages and disadvantages? Are there any peculiar nuances I should be privy to? How much of a learning curve do you think it will be moving from the C100 to the Ursa Mini?

Thanks, 

Nick

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2977 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

The URSA 4.6k is FAR easier to use then the Canon C100, which is a garbled mess. You may find yourself re-thinking your entire strategy on how you use the camera due to it's ease of use. Having shot with the C100 and C300MKII, I can attest to how horrible the menu's and controls are. The URSA's exposure tools are also MUCH BETTER and easier to use then the C100.

There really isn't any comparison between the two cameras either. The C100 is an 8 bit 4:2:0 MPEG 2 camera, the URSA Mini 4.6k is a 14 bit RAW camera that can also shoot 12 bit 4:4:4 Pro Res XQ as well.

The big problem with the URSA's in general is their lack of an Optical Low Pass filter. This is a HUGE PROBLEM, but there are solutions. Running any filtration in front of the lens helps considerably. Softer cinema glass will also help with the issue. Google search moire issues and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Truthfully, I'm a pretty big fan of the URSA 4.6k, the only reason I don't own one is the OLPF issue, but I've been playing with it for a while now and I think it's a great camera. It captures colors the way I like to grade in the coloring bay. Mind you, the C100 does as well, I think the C100 has a good looking imager. It's just matched to a poor processor, which even prohibits capturing a decent signal externally. With the full kit (viewfinder, shoulder kit, V mount batteries) it makes a powerful weapon. It's biggest issues are the lack of direct menu controls without opening up the display. I'd also say it's a bit on the heavy side, which kinda sucks if you're shooting shoulder all day long. It also has a few configuration issues, timecode input rarely works, the XLR's on top is bogus, the power button being behind the display sucks as well. But meh... I'd rather have good menu's and a great looking image anyway.

#3 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

I am personally a Big Daddy URSA user myself, and Tyler said most of what needed to be said - while I do not have recent experience with the new 4.6k sensor, I can say if they purchased the camera then they should look into having Mosaic Engineering build a OLPF/AA filter for the URSA-Mini.  While I have seen very nice results from Black Pro-Mist filters, which sometimes can cost about the same, the OLPF does not give the same effect as it is a behind the lens filter that replaces the one built into the camera.  Give them a call, its sure to save headaches! 

The 4K, 2.5K, and HD 16mm sensors all needed about 1/3 to 1/2 overexposure to get really great results for me personally.  However, again I have not used the new 4.6K sensor which may be more true to the meter. 

They're great cameras! 

Paralinx LLC

ZoomCrane

Pro 8mm

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

The Slider

Tai Audio

Zylight