#1 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 459 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hi all,

I am prepping a S16mm feature where we will be photographing some laptop computers and also some images projected by a digital projector. We do plan on shooting some tests with the hero computers and projectors with an Aaton XTR Prod. But-

Just wondering if there's anything else we can do besides simply adjusting to a 144 degree shutter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Frank  

#2 Stephen Baldassarre

Stephen Baldassarre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Idaho

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Adjusting the shutter won't help and can actually make it worse.  The camera shutter still only opens 24 times per second but it spends more time being closed at 144 degrees.  Shooting LCDs is pretty easy as long as you can deal with the color balance and you don't have to worry about flicker.  Daylight film does well for that, orange gels are OK but the shadows tend to take on a orange cast and you lose a lot of output.  Not many screens have enough adjustment to match tungsten lighting, so probably the best thing to do is use daylight film and 5,600K lighting.

DLPs can be another matter.  I've never tried to reshoot DLP video off of a screen but they DO flicker a bit.  I'd use a spot meter to make sure the contrast is OK.  Projection especially has a tendency to look murky and washed-out when reshot.  Rear projection usually looks better because you can put an ND filter over the screen.  The projection may be two stops darker but the wash from ambient light is four stops darker because it passes through the filter twice.

Edited by Stephen Baldassarre, 17 March 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11590 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

If you can do the projection with LED video walls, do so. They're much (much, much) brighter, much higher in contrast, and have massively more adjustment range before they become unacceptably dim. Depending on the combination of distance, pixel pitch and focus, you may need to layer diffusion over the front so you don't see the dots.

As Stephen says, LCDs are more benign than DLP projectors, and since you mention DCPs, I suspect you will be in a digital cinema environment which implies a DLP projector. Regardless, things get more difficult if you're going for a photorealistic back projection effect, since you really need to ensure that the camera and the projector are synchronised to avoid double frames and unpleasant problems with motion blur. If not, you can get away with more. Which is it?

P

#4 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 459 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the responses fellows. 

Here's the situation: The projector will be used as a practical element in a few movie theater scenes. i.e.: the scenes take place in a movie theater while a movie is being projected in a standard way. Think of Cinema Paradiso as a general visual reference. Our projector is an LCD. Its the NEC PA571W 720P. I will be rating the film (7219) anywhere from 400 to 800 ASA depending upon what seems right for these scenes. I spoke with a digital rear screen projectionist who I've worked with in the past and he feels that we should be ok regarding flicker. I am sort of less concerned about color and or contrast as the film being projected is an experimental film so there is wiggle room in terms of faithfulness in representing the original content.

The big challenge for our very small budget is that I can only shoot a test on the first day of production which does not give us enough turn around time before we are scheduled to see the projector on set. The turn around time for "dailies" is 3 days. Insane but true. We are in upstate NY. The film gets driven down to NYC then shipped to Color Lab in Maryland to be processed. Then shipped back to NYC for scanning then back up to us. 3 loooooong days. Kodak is allegedly opening up a new lab in NY but they most likely will not be up and running in time for us.

I was able to shoot a quick test of our hero laptop (Macbook Pro w/ Retina display from 2015). We are a single stock show. 7219 so we'll see how the color temp renders itself. And yes flicker would be bad. I will see that today, i hope. 

We start shooting April 1st. Yes, I know. Fool's Day and all.

Thanks for any more thoughts

f

#5 Stephen Baldassarre

Stephen Baldassarre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Idaho

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, LCDs don't flicker like DLPs, plasma screens etc. so no worries.  Getting the exposure and color right will be tricky.  I suggest doing some test shoots with a video camera rated at your target EI to get an idea of what to expect in terms of lighting etc.  Of course, keep spill off the screen as much as possible.

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Quantum Music Works

ZoomCrane

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm